Relay #203 continues to melt.. what's going on?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonia

Reaction score
In my fuse panel of 03 exp I have replaced relay #203 3 times now and as soon as I start truck it heats up and I can start smelling hot plastic only after a couple mins. It seems to be getting worse does anyone know what the prob could be? Very frustrating as all the wires look good so far, melting directly in the center prong of relay.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Contact is overheating usually due to a spread connector. Common problem with this year. Will require fusebox mod or replacement. I vote mod...
See my reply to your other thread. I may merge the two of them once the caffeine takes affect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tonia

Reaction score
Ya just figuring out the site, no caffeine yet lol, ok I have a pic of exactly where relay is melting- of the 5 male prongs 3 in a row 2 in other direction the melt is only at the 2nd of the two which places directly in center of relay. No I don't know how to read the diagram but would understand if explained. someone explained about a gel to use for better contact would that help fill the gap if that's the prob? Sounds like what was going on with the radio- it would go on and off like a loose wire but it was definitely connected to pwr window, I replaced that particular relay and nothing so I used a wire to connected to basically hot wire it and put a toggle switch to turn on and off. But I don't want to do that with this one since it controls much more important items.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pay attention to stamp1127 we have been thru the problems with the relays on the 03 fuse blocks many times

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tonya do you have access to a digital multi meter that will also measure current? A meter that could handle 20 amps would be great.

I've attached a pdf for part of the pcm/relay circuit. It is what is referred to as a branch circuit.
The first thing to check is the relay rating. It should be able to handle the 55 amps that is the total current draw for the branches. The branches are protected by fuses 32-33-34 respectively. Usually the amp rating is printed on the top or one of the sides along with terminal numbers.

Fuel pumps have been an issue in the past so pull fuse 34 (20amp) or the fuel pump relay, turn the ignition to run and see if the #203 relay is getting warm/hot. Do not try to start since the fuel pump will be disabled.

Are you in the rust belt? Salted roads in winter?

Attachments

• 13-13.pdf
    32.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tonia

Reaction score
I did not not read first uuugg! I just pulled the whole fuse panel and what a bi..h!! And now I regret that.. How the heck do u mod this thing if I were to cause got the back panel off and uh oh not sure cause can't get to the panel where relay is

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may be held in with screws or a just a tight fit. Pry up carefully around the edges if you don't see any screws but don't snap the board.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, take a picture of what fuse color is where or you will need the fuse box layout with fuse rating to put it all back together.

OP
OP
T

Tonia

Reaction score
I am in a whole new world of nervous w this... Boards are very tight not budging.. And yes I'm in Missouri salty roads in snow