I Want My 2005 Expedition Back!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willriker01

Reaction score
After 163,000 faithful and dependable miles of service towing my race car and trailer all over the USA, my 2005 Limited Expedition transmission died. I opted for the new 2013 same version as a replacement. What a POS!

My 2005 was miles superior to this turd. The 6-speed automatic spends its entire life hunting and shifting. Gas mileage is 4 mpg less than my 2005. The air conditioned seats do not work. The power running boards are a hazard. The power lift gate is a nuisance. The 20" wheels pointless. The front grill does not even come in the body color - the whole point of a Limited. The column shift is gone, replaced by a "floor" shift resulting is a major loss of center console storage space. Then there are the cup holders! Thank god for all the friggin' cup holders. Glad to see Ford has our back. Then there is one of my favorites - the nav unit; can't input data from passenger seat while moving so lets pull over on shoulder and get destroyed by an 18- wheeler, got to be safe you know. And what's up with this worthless my sync system? Absolutely useless and pointless. If I wanted an OnStar system I would have bought a Tahoe. And if you want to accelerate be ware, mash the accelerator pedal and its like someone just kicked the SUV in the nuts...unhh, a beetle bug can outrun this thing!

After 9 brand new high end Ford purchases in the last 15 years this latest Expedition incarnation has convinced me to never own another Ford product as long as I live.

Not happy, just dropped a pile on a car I'll be stuck with for at least 2 years while I figure out what to do with the thing.

Later and thanks for listening.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you do not like your truck. When the new powertrains finally get added to these, they will be much better vehicles in every respect. Consider a tuner for it, that would definitely wake it up in the meantime.

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I understand your comments, things must have changed between 2012 (my King Ranch) and your 2013. Mine is responsive to the throttle, we love the retractable running boards, and after I added the Lockpick to the factory NAV it works like it should. On my old 2005 EB, the cooling/heating feature turned off after 10-15 minutes of use, on the KR they stay on until your seat bottom is icy or red hot. And I much prefer the floor shift than the shifter on the tree. The only thing I miss from the 05 we had was the huge glove compartment it had. The 12's compartment looks like it came out of a Mini Cooper. The manual takes up half the room in it. And I get 2-3 more mpg than on the old 05 EB

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never owned a 2nd gen, but I like my 3rd gen. Was it a new or used vehicle? I'm guessing it has some kind of warranty. If it does, then you should use it.

Man, if you hate 20's I'd hate to hear what you say about my 24's.:ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Willriker01

Reaction score
Bought my 2005 Limited brand new and bought my 2013 Limited brand new. Both are twins in terms of color and interior. AC seats don't work in the 2013 either. For $56K you should get a lot more for your money. Vehicle has a 5-year 125K warranty but typically they never fix anything right when I take it in. If they can't get the error code off the PC they can't fix anything these days.

As for the nav unit, I just had Car Toys rip that piece of junk out today and replace it with a new Kenwood DNN990 package for a little over $2k. That fixes the garbage Ford installed from the factory. I tossed the OEM head unit in the trash along with the Sync service that was also useless. Now at least I can use the navigation and phone features that I originally paid $$ for the 301a package and my iPhone now syncs up with the head unit so I can use the hands free. The Ford unit would sync up and then drop out - a real PITA. The voice activation feature on the Ford unit was about as non-functional as Siri on my iPhone. The Kenwood voice activation system is great.

The MPG is 15.5 on highway cruising at 73 and barely 14 in town. Overall, about 4MPG on average less than my 2005. That's with a 6-speed too.

The biggest gripe I have is the useless 6-speed auto they linked the 5.4 Triton up to. The 6-speed is a detriment when compared to the 5-speed of my 2005 in terms of overall performance. I am firmly convinced that the 6-speed is the crux of all the acceleration and mileage issues. When moving at a crawl in forward or reverse the vehicle trembles and quivers. Ford says there are no codes so all is well. BS! That transmission is flawed and I'm just waiting for it to fail.

I have 1800 miles on this thing since taking delivery in January and absolutely hate driving it. Fortunately I own 4 other vehicles and a Goldwing that are fun to drive. I'm going to park this thing in the garage far slot and only use it to tow my race car - that's about all it appears to be good for; I hope.

Later

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you talked to another dealer? I think you're the first guy I've heard of that doesn't like the 6 speed auto. Maybe something changed in the 5 years between your's and mine. Mine doesn't shudder or anything. And I get 16-17mpg cruising at 75-80 depending on how twisty the road is.

thr_wedge

Reaction score
I understand you are very frustrated, but many of these sound like serious issues that should be taken to the dealer. I have no issues with my 2010 Limited EL accelerating. My fuel econ stinks, but it is driven hard in almost exclusive stop and go traff6 speed. Our AC seats work, etc., etc. Since you have other vehicles to drive it shouldn't be an issue to drop off at the dealer to fix.

If you are not willing to drop off the car to get it fixed then I don't know what to say.