2004 Expedition Heater/AC Blower Motor replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David G

Reaction score
Hi everyone - Wish I would have found this forum group a while back!

I have a 2004 Expedition with electronic climate control and attempted to replace the blower motor in the front passenger footwell. After I took out the 3 screws holding it in, I realized there wasn't going to be enough room to drop it all the way down and out - let alone fit a new one back up inside the chamber area.

Am I missing something trying to do this? Are there a few more screws that I am missing or something else I need to loosen and the whole assembly slides an inch forward or at an angle? I don't really want to take this to a dealer, get zinged on the price when it might be something simple that I am just not seeing.

Thanks much for any help!

JohnnyBGood

Reaction score
I have same truck and same issue.

I pulled mine out by removing all screws (3) and then I had to spin the housing to get it out. I took some finesse but its out. Worried about getting the new on in tho lol.

B

bedrck46

hope these help

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin1452

Reaction score
No space to drop the blower motor

I have a EB 2001, The front blower motor stopped working. I disconnected the power cable to the motor and see DC power in the cable and that Voltage changes when I manually change the fan speed control.

Next step is to change the blower motor, removed four 8mm screws. But there is not enough room to the floor, to drop the blower and fan out of the enclosure. Removed the carpet, but inches are needed. The fan and fan motor appear to be one unit and cannot be separated. What am I missing? What is next step?

B

bedrck46

for the 2001
The following was copied from the Ford Service Manual

All vehicles
Remove the RH lower instrument panel insulator.
Remove the passenger side scuff plate.
Remove the passenger side kick panel.
Position aside the weatherstrip.
Remove the passenger side kick panel
Position back the carpet.

Vehicles with EATC
Disconnect the aspirator tube and remove the screw.
Remove the aspirator tube extension.
Remove the screws.
Remove the aspirator tube extension

All vehicles
Disconnect the electrical connector.
Remove the screws and remove the blower motor.
Remove the wheel from the blower motor.
Remove the clip.
Remove the blower wheel.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Reseal the floor insulation using a suitable adhesive ta

etrelstad

Reaction score
No space to drop the blower motor

FYI I just ran into the same problem and was able to work through it. Like JohnnyBGood, I was able to get the damn thing out after a little finesse and a little bit more torque.

After removing the three screws, I rotated the blower motor (counter clockwise from the bottom I believe) and removed the power plug. In that position, I dropped it while pulling it towards the back of the truck. Since it seemed too tight, I cut away about a 1" x 2" piece of insulation from the floor where the blower mounting was digging in. (In the end, I'm not sure if this was necessary) From there, I was able to get the blower to slide out with some force.

Getting the new one back in was equally as challenging. In the same position as removal, and after a few tries, I was able to force it in there when everything was lined up correctly.

Good luck. I hope you're able to work through it without breaking anything.

Kevin1452

Reaction score
Got it done

I have a 2001 Eddie Bauer edition. The key for me was moving the carpet and the pad under it out of the way. Once that was done the fan had enough room to drop down.
Used a Dremel multi-max to cut the carpet and pad, then glued them back in. Not the best way to do it, but I'm a beginner, and this was quick approach on a very cold day. I'm very happy with the results.

VoxVeritatis

Reaction score
The key to making enough space

for the 2001
The following was copied from the Ford Service Manual

All vehicles
Remove the RH lower instrument panel insulator.
Remove the passenger side scuff plate.
Remove the passenger side kick panel.
Position aside the weatherstrip.
Remove the passenger side kick panel
Position back the carpet.

Vehicles with EATC
Disconnect the aspirator tube and remove the screw.
Remove the aspirator tube extension.
Remove the screws.
Remove the aspirator tube extension

All vehicles
Disconnect the electrical connector.
Remove the screws and remove the blower motor.
Remove the wheel from the blower motor.
Remove the clip.
Remove the blower wheel.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Reseal the floor insulation using a suitable adhesive ta

My model is a 2002 equipped with EATC.

Even without pictures this procedure, especially the bolded step describing the aspirator tube is ideal for effecting the repair.

Using it, I was able to finish the job in short order.

Blower motor mount has four screws, aspirator tube has three. Once aspirator tube is out of the way you can drop the old unit out and install the new one.

No need for carpet cutting, etc. if you follow the repair manual steps.

Thank you, bedrck46, for that manual excerpt!

It really made the job straightforward.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK