Changing oil pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MONSTERDUDE

Reaction score
My expy is running really rough at times and sounds like a diesel. The dealer said i needed to change the oil pump. Has anyone done this before? It's funny because at a certain rpm the expy will run fine. I read a thread on rough idling and was wondering if this might not be the problem because the guys at autozone scanned it and said there was an open circuit somewhere?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year do you have? Also, what did Autozone scan? Did you have a check engine light? If so, what was the code?

slim

Reaction score
I changed one on a 1984 LTD with a 302 about ten years ago. It wasn't to bad, basically unbolted the motor mounts and jacked the engine up as high as I could and dropped the oil pan low enough to get at the pump. I replaced it with a high volume pump.

I had to do it twice because the main seal got twisted and it leaked oil like crazy.

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the oil pump is on the crank behind the balancer and timing chain cover:

REMOVAL

1. Remove the timing chain.
2. Remove the oil pan.

3. Remove the three (A) oil pump screen and cover bolts and the (B) oil pump screen and cover.

4. Remove the two oil pump bolts and the oil pump.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean and inspect the mating surfaces.

2. Install the oil pump and loosely install the two oil pump bolts.

3. Install the oil pump screen and cover and install the three oil pump screen and cover bolts.
4. Install the timing chains.
5. Install the oil pan.