How to install Signal Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This installation is for 2003-06 Expedition XLT. You can use the Eddie Bauer, Limited, King Ranch signal mirrors or the 2003-06 Navigator mirrors. First lets disconnect the battery. Pop up the window control module.

sm01.jpg

Pop up the door sill.

sm02.jpg

This is how it look after it is remove.

sm03.jpg

Grab and pull out the weatherstripping like in the photo, it is not glue in.

sm04.jpg

Pull the Hush panel forward to release it

sm05.jpg

This is why you pull the Hush panel forward because of the tabs

sm06.jpg

Put a Butt Connector on the green wire with white stripe, run a wire about a foot and half from there into door boot and up to the mirror connector.

sm07.jpg
sm08.jpg

See black Tab in front of the green connector, the Hush panel must slide over this when you replace the Hush panel.

sm09.jpg

OP
OP
corvettej

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This the boot that the wire will come through, don't worry about the ground because the plug has the ground already

sm11.jpg

Now lets remove the door panel, oh, by the way my mirrors has been install over 7 years, I took the door apart to make sure I'm posting the right info. There are 2 bolts (7mm) at the bottom and 2 torx screws (T-20) behind this tab.

sm12.jpg
sm13.jpg

Unplug the window switch module and sat aside.

sm14.jpg

Make sure the door button is in the lock position, then pull up on the door slightly moving it back and forth or up and down it will come off look at the pictures to get an idea where the tabs are so you don't break them or the lip off.

sm16.jpg
sm17.jpg

OP
OP
corvettej

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't forget to unplug the mirror on the door panel. Now would be a great time to upgrade the front speakers if you like, they are 6x8's I purchase these at Walmart for around $50. and they fit ford products.

sm18.jpg

Remove the stick-on that covering the mirrors bolts, there are 3 bolts I forget the size.

sm19.jpg

This step go ahead and pull the stick-on for the large door panel back enough to unplug the the mirror connection and remove the mirror from the door and replace with the signal mirror that you have purchased, run the mirror harness through just like the old one. The wire that you tap into (green wire with white stripe) will butt connect to the green wire with white stripe on the signal mirror plug that you just install.

sm20.jpg

sm21.jpg

sm22.jpg

Now is the time to test it by connecting the battery and turn on the turn signal for the left side, the puddle light and the turn signal should be working now. If not check the connection. If it is working disconnect the battery and reassemble the door and get ready to do the passenger side.

OP
OP
corvettej

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the passenger side you don't have to remove the Hush panel, the weatherstrip or the door sill. Go ahead and remove the door panel, the old mirror and install the new mirror and route the harness but don't make any connection because on this side the wire is a different color. Open and empty the glovebox there on both sides near the rear push in on the tabs and the glove will drop down out of the way and you should see this, this is where I have the wire tap. I think the wire is white with a blue stripe but I will recheck with a flashlight tomorrow to be positive. Bear with me its getting late.

sm23.jpg

sm24.jpg

sm28.jpg

sm27.jpg

OP
OP
corvettej

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just verified that the wire is indeed white with a blue stripe. Happy signalling.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
corvettej...put that on the other site!!! i'm going to stop checking this site all together on my B-day...so this site has my attention periodically until May 25...regardless if i'm in afghanistan, iraq, or USA