Replacing rear wheel bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HelpMeInTexas

Reaction score
I have a 99 Expy 4x4 with 151,000 miles. Just started to here a chirp coming from my driver's rear wheel. Think I can replace my own wheel bearing but wanted a second opion and some guidance on how to approach it. Does the bearing need to be pressed off and on? Does the shaft need to be removed?
Any assistance is appreciated.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did mine last week and there is a "how to" on an 04 f150 although it is basically the same as ours (you can find it by googling) but anyways here it is from memory
1. Jack the truck, support with stands under the rear axle, chock the front wheels.
2. remove the rear wheels
3. Remove the rear diff cover
4. as it is draining remove the rear rotors
5. Go back to the diff and rotate the pinion gear untill you see a small 10mm bolt on the right that holds in the pinion shaft, remove it
5. Slide out the pinion shaft and from this point on DO NOT ROTATE THE GEAR
6. You will be able to see the axles and where they enter the rear diff from each side and are held in place by "C" clips
7. Go to each side and push the axle in about 1/2" and then back to the diff and pull out each "c" clip- Keep each "C" clip with it's axle and keep track of the way it went in, you will want to replace it the same way
8. You can now remove the axle from the housing out each side carefully, try not to knick the ends of the axles (spline) set them out of the way
9. Use a small pry bar and remove the seals
10. Then use an axle bearing puller and slide it in the bearing, tighten it up and whack away until the bearing comes out, i had to use a bit of heat on mine.
11. Once the everything is all out clean it up good.
12. I put a small amout of grease on the outside of the new bearing to help it slide in and used the old bearing to tap on so you aren't hammering on the new bearing, make sure it's totally seated and you will know when it is.
13. Install the new seal, very carefully and evenly
14. drop and few drops of the gear oil into the new bearing (I'm OCD-LOL)
15. Install the axles, "C" clips, pinion shaft, and pinion bolt with a bit of loctite on the bolt
16. New RTV on the rear diff cover, set it to set up
17. Install the rotors and adjust the ebrake wheel
18. fill with diff fluid which I found a trick here from Baker- It works AWESOME, make sure the holes in the quart container are just big enough to slide the tubing in
http://www.expeditionforum.com/f73/transfer-case-fluid-change-15598/

How to replace rear axle seals and bearings in your 04+ F150 (lots of pics) - F150online Forums

Good luck and if you have any questions as you are doing it I am inboxing you my number

wheelspeed

Reaction score
I just did mine last week and there is a "how to" on an 04 f150 although it is basically the same as ours (you can find it by googling) but anyways here it is from memory
1. Jack the truck, support with stands under the rear axle, chock the front wheels.
2. remove the rear wheels
3. Remove the rear diff cover
4. as it is draining remove the rear rotors
5. Go back to the diff and rotate the pinion gear untill you see a small 10mm bolt on the right that holds in the pinion shaft, remove it
5. Slide out the pinion shaft and from this point on DO NOT ROTATE THE GEAR
6. You will be able to see the axles and where they enter the rear diff from each side and are held in place by "C" clips
7. Go to each side and push the axle in about 1/2" and then back to the diff and pull out each "c" clip- Keep each "C" clip with it's axle and keep track of the way it went in, you will want to replace it the same way
8. You can now remove the axle from the housing out each side carefully, try not to knick the ends of the axles (spline) set them out of the way
9. Use a small pry bar and remove the seals
10. Then use an axle bearing puller and slide it in the bearing, tighten it up and whack away until the bearing comes out, i had to use a bit of heat on mine.
11. Once the everything is all out clean it up good.
12. I put a small amout of grease on the outside of the new bearing to help it slide in and used the old bearing to tap on so you aren't hammering on the new bearing, make sure it's totally seated and you will know when it is.
13. Install the new seal, very carefully and evenly
14. drop and few drops of the gear oil into the new bearing (I'm OCD-LOL)
15. Install the axles, "C" clips, pinion shaft, and pinion bolt with a bit of loctite on the bolt
16. New RTV on the rear diff cover, set it to set up
17. Install the rotors and adjust the ebrake wheel
18. fill with diff fluid which I found a trick here from Baker- It works AWESOME, make sure the holes in the quart container are just big enough to slide the tubing in
http://www.expeditionforum.com/f73/transfer-case-fluid-change-15598/

How to replace rear axle seals and bearings in your 04+ F150 (lots of pics) - F150online Forums

Good luck and if you have any questions as you are doing it I am inboxing you my number

More specifically to a related thread I just started; What happens if I did not do the second step 5? (He listed a step 5 twice.) That is, I left the pinion shaft out, the passenger axle, and the two smaller cogs out while getting the axle bearing and seal off. So I guess the other axle may have turned or something during that time. I don't understand why he says "Do not rotate the gear" when these parts all rotate anyway as you drive.

Last edited:

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You do not want to rotate the wheel so that the spider gears may fall out. Been there done that. You really want the gears to be where they are, so the wear pattern stays the same. Even if you do not rotate the wheel, there is a chance the spider gears can fall out. Just consider the differential very delicate once you pull out the bolt.

Gage2502

Reaction score
Hey guys...Im going to replace my rear bearings on my 2000 Expedition 4x4 5.4L 3:55LS...
Does anyone use the repair bearings or just use the normal bearings?
I was going to use Timken brand bearings, would that be ok?
I also seen National brand bearings is that as good as Timken bearings?
Thanks....Gage

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if the seal has wore a groove in the axel or you didnt catch it intime and hurt the axel a bit use the repair bearing other wise standard is fine

Gage2502

Reaction score
Thanks KWT2000...
Also is it better to replace the axle instead or using the repair bearings?
Some people are against using the repair bearings.
Thanks