1st Gen Navigator Info Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wife has the "I wants" - more luxury in the ride. I'm doing some research on the Navi's before possibly pulling the trigger on a 1st gen.
Popped the hood on one yesterday, read 5.4 - cool - then noticed "32 valve" - damn that is tight in the bay. Heater core hoses disappeared towards the firewall.

Asked her who she planned on getting to work on it.....

Found out they are using a stock dohc 5.4 300hp, premium gas, awd, air suspension and some Lincoln bling in the interior.

I'm wondering about them being a cash pit, reliability factors etc.
Gut feeling is to stay away from the AWD.

So, to those that have them, pro's and con's please.

OP
OP
stamp11127

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife is being put off by that also. Now she is looking at the Excursion with the 5.4 or 6.8. The 44 gallon gas tank opened her eyes a little.

TechRN31

Reaction score
My husband is trying to get me into anything diesel. Get her the diesel Excursion or a nice King Ranch 250

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it have to be a first gen? The later models use the same 5.4 as the Expys. I'd love an Excursion myself, but good luck finding one with the 7.3 at a decent price. At least out here.

OP
OP
stamp11127

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd love a diesel but when you get down to it, we can't really justify the cost of a diesel. They are running about $10,000 more than the gas burners, we don't tow & I know how expensive repairs can be on them. I worked for the school system here & most of the fleet are the 7.3's.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about a Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade? They are so much easier to work on. Or the durangos/GCs are also quite easy to work on, but I don't know if you have a size requirement.

My wife wants a new car too and my advice to her was start saving up. ;)

Last edited:

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
guy's selling a 2000, asking $3,250.00

here's part of what he sez in his ad,

This navigator is in good shape. Well over $10000 spent over last 2 years on it. Listed below are things already done so you don't have to do it.
The complete air suspension has been redone.
New parts on all, ride height sensor and all others sensors. new compressor, new rear air bags. new front air shocks. All work was done at a lincoln dealership. This alone was Over $8500 and will need to be done on any navigator around the age of 1999 to 2005 depending on your luck. So be aware when buying one without this done as it will cost you, if it has not been done yet.
Also has had braking master cylinder done, all new rotors.
New power steering box, and power steering pump.
New starter, new upper and lower tie rods front, and new ball joints upper and lower front all done.
It has had a tune up 6 months ago with new wires plugs and egr sensor done. It passed emissions

you see ads like this,
Date Listed 09-Jan-15
Price
$1,300.00
Address 458 Birchmount Road, Scarborough, ON M1K
View map
SUSPESNION CONVERSION FOR 2003 TO 2006 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR. REPLACES UNRELIABLE AIR SUSPENSION TO A PASSIVE SUSPENSION. PRICE INCLUDES PARTS AND LABOR

OP
OP
stamp11127

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their input. After looking at Navi's, Expy's, BMW x5's & Excursions, she stumbled on an Acura MDX that was a garage queen. All repair work and maintenance was done at the dealer and she tells me this is the one I want.

Said fine with me, guess I'll learn to work on this one then. So we have another addition to the family.