Go Back   Ford Expedition Forum > Ford Expedition Forum > General Discussion

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

General Discussion

2001 expedition wont start but turns over

This is a discussion on 2001 expedition wont start but turns over within the General Discussion forums, part of the Ford Expedition Forum category!
My 2001 expedition had been acting up for a while sometimes it didnt want to start. then one day when ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy 2001 expedition wont start but turns over

My 2001 expedition had been acting up for a while sometimes it didnt want to start. then one day when i got home from work it was idling funny so i gave it alittle gas and it died and ive only got it to start 1 time since, but you had to keep your foot on the gas to keep it running. It turns over but wont start at all now it seems to be draining the brand new battery that replace a couple months ago can get it started to take it somewhere to get it hooked up for a code. If someone could please give me some insight on what may be going on. I know the best thing is to get it hooked up and find out whats wrong.
sherry04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

please could someone please help me....Im a single mother of 4 children dont know have anyone to look at it and not much money..please answer ...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

technical advisor

We don't have alot to go on with the little info given but it sounds possibly fuel related?! Did it act like it was running out of gas?? You can turn off stereo and accessories and see if you can hear fuel pump running for 2-3 seconds when you first have key in run position. (do not crank) It may be hard to hear.

Blown 2000 XLT 4wd...12.61 @ 107.44mph. (481 rwhp & 577 rwtq)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW7XKRvOP0Q

Built 5.4 w/ 8.6 to 1 comp, forged manley rods & pistons, forged steel crank, comp cams 102500, trick flow heads, ported lightning supercharger assembly pullied for 14psi boost. Tuned by self via SCT pro-racers software.

Built 4R100 . Complete custom mandrel bent dual 3" stainless exhaust with high flow cats.
toms89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

It sounds like its getting no gas. we did try to hear fuel pump but couldnt hear it. A friend of my father came over and said it was the tming but I had a vehickle where it was the timing and when it was that it had a real fast winde but the expeditions not doing that it just keeps turning over but wont start.It has a new battery, new alternator, all 8 injectors or what ever they r ( modulators I think they call them). I think its something to do with the fuel also. cause I was running the gas pretty low because didnt have alot of money for gas because of gas prices. So I thought maybe I clogged the fuel filter then it caused the fuel pump to go out.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

My 2002 has had the same problem. I recently changed the fuel pump relay, and that worked for a while. This morning it wouldn't start for my wife. It, too, has a new alternator & battery. I guess I'm down to the question of fuel pump and filter.
stansawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Super Mod

Changing the filter would be the quickest and cheapest item to check off.

So when you have someone turn the key, and you listen to the engine, you don't hear the high pitched whine of the injectors priming?

I'm not responsible if you break something :)
ELVATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

technical advisor

Running on fumes is bad for the fuel pump as it uses the fuel to cool it.

If you have the means check fuel pressure at the rail.

If not you can remove gas cap and listen closely as someone first turns ignition to run position but do not crank. Pump should run 2-3 seconds. This can be repeated as necessary and should be able to determine if fuel pump is working. If you get dead silence pump or wiring may have failed. If you hear muffled whine its likely ok.

Blown 2000 XLT 4wd...12.61 @ 107.44mph. (481 rwhp & 577 rwtq)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW7XKRvOP0Q

Built 5.4 w/ 8.6 to 1 comp, forged manley rods & pistons, forged steel crank, comp cams 102500, trick flow heads, ported lightning supercharger assembly pullied for 14psi boost. Tuned by self via SCT pro-racers software.

Built 4R100 . Complete custom mandrel bent dual 3" stainless exhaust with high flow cats.

Last edited by toms89; 03-05-2012 at 08:30 PM.
toms89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Dont forget the Inertia shutoff switch.. Stops the fuel pump and I have seen a LOT of them go bad. On my old 2001 explorer it was in the passenger kick panel, but not sure where it is on the Expy. Find it, (Anyone know where it is?) and push the switch or jumper across it (To TEST only). If it works, REPLACE the switch because it will leave you stuck again.

For those that do not know, the inertia switch will shut off the fuel if you are in an accident or jarred pretty hard, however these spring loaded switches can and DO go bad even without an accident, causing the fuel pump to stop running. I have seen these be intermittent also.

Last edited by KC Dave; 03-06-2012 at 01:03 AM.
KC Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Full Access Members

one quick and easy check is to find the fuel press port [looks like tire valve] on the fuel rail. now depress the little tab in the center tab fuel should gush out, now turn key off and on several times and try again. there should be a lot come out if not pump is probably bad.
CARO'S98EB is offline   Reply With Quote