Expedition V6 Twin Turbo issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have heard about possible turbo spindle failures. Anyone else have a comment?

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 with the twin-turbo 3.5 V-6.

Any mechanical part can fail.

Where did you hear of the information you posted? What information are you looking for?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

coloskier

Reaction score
I had heard this from a Ford dealership mechanic that I know. But I can't seem to find any comments online about the issue.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3.5 L has been around for a while now. I know the early F150s (pre-aluminum) had some issues with condensation in the CAC (intercooler) which caused problems in certain conditions, but other than that I haven't heard of any other issues.

As with any DI (direct injection) engine, carbon buildup is something to be aware of as the miles rack up, but they should be good for many miles if you keep up on maintenance (as with anything!).

I have an 11 SHO with the same basic motor and its amazing! Boost is addictive!

OP
OP
C

coloskier

Reaction score
:wtg:

What exactly did he tell you? Did you ask him any questions about the issue?

I can only put it this way. I asked him about purchasing the new twin turbo V6 Expedition, and he flat out said "Don't do it. Find a 2014 V8. There are turbo spindle failure issues."

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well considering it is the same engine as in the F150 and Explorer and I have not heard anything about turbo spindle failures then I would not worry about it too much. Loving my 15 Limited ecoboost so far. I hate when i get where I am going and have to get out!

OP
OP
C

coloskier

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the replies. I'll probably go for one of the new 16's this winter. My 2007 has almost 220,000 miles on it and the tranny is probably going to go in the next 10,000 miles.