Headlight question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris2888

Reaction score
I have been trying to get help on this for a couple weeks so I figured I would try here. I have a 2007 Ford expedition EL limited pearl white.

On of the headlight coating is shot and I have to replace it. This issue is after calling the dealer it is like 400.00 bucks. I can find a used one on the net for 125-150. The problem is no one can tell me if mine is smoke lenses, clear lenses, black background etc.

I know it sounds easy, but when I look at the headlight its hard to tell as they look tinted, but the lens looks clear from the side. The background is black , so that makes it look smoked.

I gave my VIN to dealer and they can order one new, but it doesn't say if it's tinted to then. It just gives them the part number.

Does anyone know how to figure this out? I don't want to buy one off eBay and it doesn't match the other side.

Thanks

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are only 2 versions of the headlight; standard (clear) and blackout (smoked). Blackout treatment is standard on the Limited trim and has been since it was introduced in 2007.

OP
OP
C

chris2888

Reaction score
Man- U have no idea how much this has helped. So mine are smoked version then. I know it sounds simple, but no one has even been able to tell me.

Thanks again I will order the smoked.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Np. The OEM blackout is very subtle so I can understand how it might be difficult to tell without having the two side-by-side.

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a headlight restoration kit, essentially a series of compounds to polish the lenses back to original. Lots of tape and newspaper to keep the compound off the paint was important.

The kit included a pad that fits in an electric drill motor. Total cost was under $20.

The one thing they didn't point out is that the newly polished lens would fade out very quickly. I asked a guy in a body shop if he had any tips. He did! He said to get a rattle-can of clear coat and spray the lens after polishing it.

That worked really well!

OP
OP
C

chris2888

Reaction score
This is good to know Pete. I am about to do this to my 07 Lexus as they are faded.

I took the Expedition to a body shop and they said there is a coating over the headlights, and it basically worn off mine. Funny thing is he pointed out how its starting on the opposite side now.

Oh well, should have bought a pair LOL

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360