New guy here.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronniejones13

Reaction score
Hey guys
my wife and I are going to trade in her 05 liberty for a 97 to 2000 Expedition. We need room for out kids.
I'm curious to know what parts from the f150 are interchangeable and simple modifications to make the truck run and handle better.

I own a 1985 Bronco II that is in the process of getting a new engine from the 2000 Explorer.

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
interesting topic ... i think that when I search for things on my 02 expedition, many more results are on the truck forums... i think I have seen numbers of vehicles sold and f-150 is x times more than expeditions. under the hood and around the cabin, my naive thought is that much is interchangeable, but depends on the system.

i guess when I read you post, a few questions come to mind...
why ask? why do you need a few more SQ ft of space and desire to go backwards in vehicle years? i.e. giving up fresher stuff for older?

I do realize, putting distance between yourself and a mopar is worth any cost :)

Why are you stopping at 2000? why not say 2002?

I have owned explorers for 17 years.... first time owner of a 02 expedition for only 2 months... i do love the room... i love that its easier to get in and out of... the side rail is perfectly placed for me to step in and out of.

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also went backwards from a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 to a 98 Expedition. I choose the 98 over the 2000 and newer due to ratings and issues with the newer ones.

example. Intake manifold, mine Is cast iron not plastic. Just to name the one that comes to the top of my head. fyi I just sold my 2000. I had both 98 and 2000.

however 97-2001 expedtions and f150 as far as interior, and engine and suspension are the same.

What I did to increase the stability and ride is the following:

1 replaced all bushings and coil over springs with after market ones.
2. I did a 1 inch lift on the front and rear.
3. I put on 275/55/20 inch rims with a -12 offset to have the tires stand outside of the fenderwell just a little. this gave the truck a wider foot print and better handling.
4. Used Monroe shocks in front and Gabriel shocks on rear for towing.
5. installed can am air filter.
6 . last replaced exhaust manifold with headers and replaced the remaing exhaust with 3 inch pipe and dual in dual out flowmaster 70 series muffler.

with those minor changes you will have a very stable and strong expo.

let me know how it goes.