Tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run just enough to make the tread run flat without wearing out the sides (pressure too low) or the center (pressure too high) out different than the rest of the tread. My wheel and tire combo ending up liking 40 in the front and 35 in the rear......
Matt R

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by green03
I run just enough to make the tread run flat without wearing out the sides (pressure too low) or the center (pressure too high) out different than the rest of the tread. My wheel and tire combo ending up liking 40 in the front and 35 in the rear......
Matt R

That's the tire pressure I was recommended by a friend of mine who works at a Walmart tire and lube thing.

He's like "35 in the back, and 40 in the front, because it has to support the engine and your ******" :D

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I base mine on the sidewalls of the tires and my driving comfort. I prefer a less mushy ride, do almost all pavement driving, and tires max out at 51 psi. So, I tend to fill then to around 40-42 psi, unless towing.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My sticker says 35/35 but after oil change and tire rotation they were at 32 by the dealer. Cold day and TPMS warning.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like to run 70 to 80 percent of max tire pressure printed on side of tire. I run 285/50r20 street kumho tires. I like about 43-43 psi. Max is 50. Your better off running higher than low. Number 1 reason for blown out tire is under inflation! Check them every other week, just like your daughters curfew!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
35 on my passenger tires and 44 on my light truck tires measured at 45 degrees. The pressure goes up as temp goes up and down with winter temps

ynpmoose

Reaction score
Sticker calls for 35, max is 51. I run at about 40 for a less mushy ride, more even wear, and better mpg.

I go to 50 when towing, but that is a harsh ride when the trailer is disconnected.

kekman

Reaction score
17 EXPY Limited with 22" tires- the sticker says 35/35. Tire pressure and rotation is the key to successful tire life. I check mine every weekend and adjust before towing. The best way to set tire pressure is off of the load rating chart each tire mfg has for their tires by specific brand and tire size. No other way to accurately do it. So next time you have the family in the car or doing a "standard trip"- run it across a local scale by axle group. Then divide each axle group by 2 and check your tire mfg chart- adjust pressure per chart. Same thing when you have a heavy load or towing. Now you can know the range to adjust your tire pressures and it cost you 2 - $8 weight tickets to find out.

Note: Only check and fill tire pressures when cold. Do not do it after you run the car for more than 5 miles. Big difference.
During my PMs, I check the tire tread depth 3 places around the perimeter of the tire and 3 places across the tire at each spot. That will give you early indications of proper tire pressure and alignment. Rotate often- and that crap of rotating front to back each side doesn't apply if you tow. If you tow, first rotation is front to back, next rotation is X; then back to front to back, etc.

Finally, if your tire air pressure routinely drops below 80% of recommended pressure on one tire, the tire companies consider that a flat tire. Remove it and get it checked out asap.

After 32 years of S.2 Tire Study group for the Technology & Maintenance Council of ATA, and several trips to Michelin and Bridgestone training session at their respective test tracks, I have learned a few things about tires that apply to my personal vehicles.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 22” wheels, run around 36 - 38# unless I’m towing the camper, then I max them out at 50#

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01