Trip Report: Wheelin' for a Cure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Saturday I made the ~190 mile trip to the Grand Rapids, MI area, from my home north of Detroit to join 2-trackers - a GR area wheelin' group in their 2nd annual 'Wheelin' for a cure' run, to raise money for a kids Cancer Camp.

By paying a Driver and Passenger Fee, and by selling raffle tickets and door prize tickets, the group raised more than $5000 for Special Days camp. The camp provides the kids and their siblings with a camping experience created for their special needs. The camp is held at the YMCA Camp Pendalouan in Montague, MI.

While I didn't need four wheel drive for the trails, I did snap it over to 4Hi during a very sandy portion (not on vid) ONLY to make SURE I wasn't "that guy". Of the 79 vehicles who did the run, I'd guess 77 were Jeeps - I saw one mid 90s Explorer, then me. Some points of the trial were SUPER tight; I had to fold-in the mirrors twice. Height-wise I did okay; some jeeps were taller than my truck.

I'll apologize for posting cell phone pics; I left my good gear at home.

I made the vid - which isn't very interesting - mainly to get an idea of my tires; to see how close they got to rubbing over uneven terrain. As you can see, I think the truck will benefit from a 3" body lift; as soon as funds allow.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5_ykzQSME

Pics attached.

Attachments

• 2track8.jpg
    2track8.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 2track6.jpg
    2track6.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 2track7.jpg
    2track7.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 2track5.jpg
    2track5.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 2track4.jpg
    2track4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice! and for a great cause too! Helping out kids is what its all about. How long was the trail? camping along the way? and thats a bad A$$ bumper you got on your Expy. Yeah a little lift and you'll dwarf the jeeps for sure haha

OP
OP
D

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didnt see any camping on the trail - lots of hunting areas. After this trip i realized i no longer want to dwarf anything! I want more ground clearance so i will lool into the body lift - which ive now put behind getting a truetrac in the rear. Im going tojoin that wheelin club; even though its far away they do a few really good runs each year.