Blend Door Actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smusch

Reaction score
Hi all. Thanks mdall1979 for the great post and pics I changed that and still no luck with the problem. Mine is blowing cold air out drivers side no matter what the temp is set at while the pass side changes from hot to cold no prob. The dealer said there is 3 actuators and quoted me for 630.00 to change one of the actuators with being about a 12.00 difference between which 1 it may be which is crap because the one behind the radio was a piece of cake for 35.00 and they want like 600.00 + to change. That being said I think the other 2 require you to pull the dash out and I can't find any info on how to do this at all or even if there was something to help pulling the dash out would be a big help. Mine has the dual climate control and the console. Thanks all

oae1993

Reaction score
My 2011 expedition just started the clicking. I figured it was the actuator and proved it by inspecting it thru the glovebox opening. Mdall1979....thanks for the great info on changing the actuator....this will be the first thing I try.

Dbdors

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics and directions. Very helpful, and the back screw was a bear. However replacing the part did not fix my problem.

Here is what is happening, when I turn the key to start the car most of the time (but not always) the actuator behind the radio starts clicking, any where from 5 to 30 seconds. Also sometimes when driving and there is a major adjustment in temp the actuator will click for 5-10 seconds.

I bought a new actuator, installed it and before I reinstalled the radio, I tested. Unfortunately I still have the clicking, a I can see the actuator bumping as it clicks.

Any ideas?

BigDaddy747

Reaction score
I just replaced...well fixed mine for now. The local auto place didn't have the part so I took the actuator apart turned the gears 180 degrees, shaved off one of the tooths of the gear that fits into the actuator and it works. It was so easy to get to that I figured any future problems will be easy enough.

First pry the cover off from around the radio.
http://www.expeditionforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6967&stc=1&d=1376361146
Click on the link and the picture shows the 6 fasteners that will come out with a little prying especially the closer you pry next to them.

Now use a 7 or 8mm to remove the Nav radio.
http://www.expeditionforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6968&stc=1&d=1376361696

The actuator is right behind the radio. I put the key to accessories and put my hand on the actuator to feel it clicking so that I new for sure that's what it was.
http://www.expeditionforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6969&stc=1&d=1376361766
This picture shows the front screw (with a little arrow to the back screw) and the wiring attachment to the actuator. The screws are an 8mm if I remember correctly (all you need for this job was a 7mm and an 8mm and some string to tie the wrench to your belt loop...if the wrench falls its VERY hard to find and get back up).

The back screw can be loosened with the box end of the wrench with the use of just finger tips...just remember, tie a little string to it. I used duck decoy line since that was all I had.
http://www.expeditionforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6970&stc=1&d=1376361766
This is just another picture of the two screws that hold the actuator in place.

Notice how the gears that go into the blend door can only go in one way.

At this point you can get a new one and reverse the order to get it in place or if you want to fix it for now and not wait on the new part like I did continue reading...
Once the actuator is out you should be able to see all the little snap pieces around the sides and how to get this thing apart. Inside is a little motor, a bunch of gears and a printed circuit board. The biggest gear was the one with the busted tooth.
http://www.expeditionforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6971&stc=1&d=1376361766
The arrow shows the broken tooth and the circle is the side that I put back in. So basically I turned the gear 180 degrees. Close it back up and turn it upside down. You'll also have to shave off one of the teeth from the fitting that actually goes into the blend door since there is originally a gap so it can fit into place only one way.

Just bought a 09 limited Saturday. I have no heat on the passenger side but no clicking either. Can I assume that this actuator is the one at fault?

Is this actuator the one that controls heat to the passenger side?

Thanks in advance, even with heat on the drivers side it was a cold ride in this morning!!

Dbdors

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics and directions. Very helpful, and the back screw was a bear. However replacing the part did not fix my problem.

Here is what is happening, when I turn the key to start the car most of the time (but not always) the actuator behind the radio starts clicking, any where from 5 to 30 seconds. Also sometimes when driving and there is a major adjustment in temp the actuator will click for 5-10 seconds.

I bought a new actuator, installed it and before I reinstalled the radio, I tested. Unfortunately I still have the clicking, a I can see the actuator bumping as it clicks.

Any ideas?
I also notice now that it does not always click at startup. What I have noticed is if I adjust the temperature on the passenger side down, I.e. Colder, the clicking will start. If I adjust it warmer then it will stop clicking.

mdall1979

Reaction score
Dbdors,
I know the blend door and actuator are a "key" fit, but I'm wondering if the blend door is positioned to one side or the other (the wrong side) and the actuator is trying to turn the door but the door is already stuck to one side. Can you put the actuator in after turning the door manually to the other side?

mdall1979

Reaction score
I think that the blend door and actuator right behind the radio does control the passenger heat. I wonder if your problem is an electronic problem. Maybe a sensor or the control isn't sending the right signal. You could try taking the radio out and adjusting the temp to see if the actuator is moving to try and send heat towards the passenger side. Just an idea?!

BigDaddy747

Reaction score
Just bought a 09 limited Saturday. I have no heat on the passenger side but no clicking either. Can I assume that this actuator is the one at fault?

Is this actuator the one that controls heat to the passenger side?

Thanks in advance, even with heat on the drivers side it was a cold ride in this morning!!

It was that actuator. When i pulled the radio it was unplugged I assume by the previous owner. I plugged it in and it clicked. Changed it and I have heat again on the passenger side!!

Just a side note on the other comments the Actuator only fits in the door one way. the shaft and door are keyed. So you cant have it wrong.

Ryan

2010ExpyEL

Reaction score
Blend door acuator for dual control?

Are there two blend door actuators on a dual climate control unit? Or are there simply 2 doors worked by the same actuator? Driver side of my Expy has no heat. AC works fine. Had passenger side issues when we purchased the vehicle in 2012. That was fixed by the dealer. Any info would be appreciated. Can't find any other info online for this as of yet.