"Don't try to replace spark plugs!" 2008 Why not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a mechanic (not the dealer) do it and 4 broke. Im sure the dealer may have not broken as many but I think 1 or 2 would have still broke.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the spitting plugs were fixed in the 03-04 engines. The breaking plugs came with the 3V motor. I think Ford fixed this (or alleviated the problem?) by the 08 models of F150s (and I'm assuming Expedition as well?).

Either way, follow the TSB. I think I have heard of people leaving the carb cleaner overnight. Read around on the F150online forums, but a lot of the success stories definitely involve following the TSB.

Usually, the way I've heard of it working with dealer pricing is they charge you a set amount for the change, plus however extra (~100) per plug broken. They follow the TSB, or whatever method works for them. Ask to see what their record is with those plug changes.

By heat range, are you talking about the spark plug heat range? I'd probably stick with stock, unless otherwise specified. They seem to have work well thus far, right? Try not to get aftermarket as I've heard of some of these engines being a bit picky of what gets put in.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
05 & 06 2nd gens as well.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool, I didnt see anything about it for the 1st Gen. I'm not sure if the plugs and coils were ever changed on my '98. I'm under the impression that it is still a pita but changing those out plus the 02 sensors etc isnt all that expensive and something I can do myself . . . with patience, finesse and liquid wrench :D

I just found the "Broken Spark Plug Remover for Ford Triton 3 Valve Engines"

Has great reviews, it bites down in to the sleeve and allows it to be removed, but I imagine that the solvent steps in the video would still apply.

07Expy4x4

Reaction score
I changed the plugs in my 07 without any breaking, but my Expy only had 55k miles at the time. I think that was the most important reason that I didn't have any breaks. I did the job at a friend's shop who has extensive experience changing these problem spark plugs. I ran a full tank of gas with Lucas carbon cleaner before I pulled the plugs. My friend told me to use his air ratchet as he said that he has less breaks when using an air ratchet. His idea is that the air ratchet's vibrations break the carbon loose. My friend did have the extraction tool available at his shop in case I had a plug break, but I ended up not needing it!

My advice is to change the ASAP. If you have a lot of miles, you should probably go ahead and buy the tool, unless you could wait a few days to order the tool in the event that one breaks. It is a gamble to change the plugs without the tool at hand.

One more thing, I was told that my local Ford dealership pulls the entire head when a plugs breaks. This is entirely unnecessary, but they sure do make a lot of money when they do it! If you decide to take your truck to a mechanic or dealer, ask if they have experience changing the plugs on the earlier 3v 5.4 and make sure that they don't pull the head in the event of a break.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don't pull the head. A friend of mine works as a service tech at a local ford dealer and he uses a special tool. I don't know if its the same one as above.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your friend sounds pretty smart. Clean the carbon on the inside and use vibration. Reminds me that I have a compressor and impact set I've never even used.

Thx for sharing 07Expy4x4 - you probably saved someone some grief.

07Expy4x4

Reaction score
Your friend sounds pretty smart. Clean the carbon on the inside and use vibration. Reminds me that I have a compressor and impact set I've never even used.

Thx for sharing 07Expy4x4 - you probably saved someone some grief.

Yeah, he has over 20 years of experience as a mechanic. I will give him a shameless plug since he has helped me out so many times in the past and does excellent work. He and his brother run 1st Choice Automotive in Alexandria, LA. They do lots of performance mods as well, including complete motor builds, superchargers, turbochargers, and custom tuning.

If I had the cash, I'd get them to install the Procharger system on my Expy... but I doubt I will ever be able to afford it.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it's a bit of a drive from Hico to elek but probably worth it to get the job done right. Nothing wrong with a shameless plug, give credit where credit's due.