"Don't try to replace spark plugs!" 2008 Why not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EMTPJ

Reaction score
So please pardon the Noobish question here... Is this issue something that plagues all the 3rd gen's? Want to know if my '11 Expy is prone to this too! If it is, I should probabaly start saving my pennies for the dealer to do it! :p

OP
OP
R

Robert Gift

Reaction score
... Is this issue something that plagues all the 3rd gen's? Want to know if my '11 Expy is prone to this too! If it is, I should probabaly start saving my pennies for the dealer to do it! :p
I plan to do it myself rather than pay a dealer $370 to replace 8 sparkplugs + extra $50 to $99 extraction charge for every plug that breaks off in the cylinder head.
The correct spark plug has a much longer threaded shaft (see my attempt at illustration, above) and does not have the metal tube ground electrode which is prone to breaking off.
Hopefully the longer-threaded sparkplug hole will be strong enough - An Expedition drove into an I-70 rest area where I was sleeping with a sparkplug blown out of the engine.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW I swapped the plugs in our 2006 Mustang GT which uses the same two piece plugs. At the time the car had about 50K miles on it. I think the main trick is to warm the engine up first. I know it goes against everything I've learned about aluminum heads, but it worked. I put some seafoam in through the vacuum line for the brake booster, let it sit, then burned it off per the instructions. With the engine warm I pulled all the COPs and sprayed some PB Blaster in the spark plug holes. After it sat for a bit I turned each plug about a 1/4 turn and sprayed more PB Blaster. I let it sit about a half hour and then was able to remove all 8 plugs. I had a couple scares, but they all came out in one piece. After that I let the motor cool down and put the new plugs in with anti-sieze.

ptmares

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got all 8 spark plugs out with out any problems. I used a 12 volt cordless impact wrench for removal. The engine was at operating temps. Took less than an hour to remove them. I did put motorcraft carb cleaner in the spark plug wells a week before removal. I drove it around with the cleaner in there.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the dealership breaks it, do we get charged more?

I had my Expy changed a little while ago at the dealer and they broke two plugs - no extra charge - plus they had the tools to get the broken plug out in the end.

One piece of advice that they gave me is don't wait until 100K to change the plugs since they get all that crud and corrosion around them. You should swap them around 75k.

propdock

Reaction score
I have an 07 and followed all the info and used a torque wrench and still broke 6 of the 8. Lucky I had ordered a removal tool off the internet that worked perfect. I used the champion 1 piece plugs and they now have 20,000 mi on them with no problem. Took about 5 hrs to do the job. I thought the 08 with brown boots was a new design that did not break.

thebrakeman

Reaction score
I have an '06 Mountaineer with 3-valve 4.6L. I knew about the plug issue, and was glad the previous owner had already done the job at around 65,000 (said he didn't break any).

I came on this site, as my dad recently purchased an '07 Expedition EL. I wanted to check here to see when these started using the new design head/plug, was sometime in 2008 MY. Bummer. Dad's Expy is at 87,000, so I'll recommend he does the job ASAP.

fyi,
I had a misfire a year ago (on Mounty), confirmed with scangage. After swapping coilpacks (no change), I swapped 2 plugs, which confirmed the plug was the issue. It also confirmed that the previous owner had put in the new 1-pc Champions. Replaced only that plug, since the other 7 were only about 10,000 miles old. No issues since.

EastTexan

Reaction score
I changed mine at 100k with no problems, brown boot coils. Does anyone have any pictures of a broken plug? Mine had zero carbon build up, looked brand new except for wear on the electrode.