Gas overflow when filling at pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EL Trucko

Reaction score
So- I found a 2012 post on this with no real answers and I'm looking for some updated information about this:

'07 EB EL, Go to the gas station- any pump..
at about 3/4 or so full, the nozzle trips off and then pressurized fuel spews/sprays/erupts/regurgitates/vomits (you pick description) from the fuel tank stem.
-Different positions of the nozzle in the stem during filling does not change the result.
-The remaining volume of the tank can be filled at a trickle rate. But those last 8 gallons or so can take forever (like literally 15 minutes!) at the slow rate. So I usually just leave the station with 3/4 tank. But going on roadtrips I want to maximize the range of the truck with a full tank without wasting time trickling gas into the tank.

-I figured it was just a clogged/damaged vent on the stem but I called the dealer about it and he said it could be several different issues and wants $110 just to test it!!!
-I've seen multiple complaints about this but no solutions. Anyone else deal with this better than just not filling up more than 3/4 tank?

Thanks.
2007 Eddie Bauer EL 4x2
added Grill Guard but waiting on Aux lights to post pic
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
1996 Ford Explorer 5.0L V8/Towing
Waiting on my 1st Gen Bronco (my retirement truck!)

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife's 2nd gen Durango also has this problem. I feel your pain. Haven't take looked into it personally since I don't drive the car.

irishpride

Reaction score
my 07 does the same thing. please please please someone have an answer.

I don't tip off I fill it up till it clicks and stop and woosh about .5 gallons will spit back at me, and all over the side.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing at two gas stations. Had it checked out under warranty and all they did was charge me for the gas. I found another station down the street that doesn't spew the fuel back out. It's a 76 station.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
air...its like the tank is burping and I can only think that air is in it and is rising or trying to escape by least resistant path...I don't have this prob

OP
OP
EL Trucko

EL Trucko

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing at two gas stations. Had it checked out under warranty and all they did was charge me for the gas. I found another station down the street that doesn't spew the fuel back out. It's a 76 station.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

AH! 01yellerCobra-
Yours was actually the post I read from 2012. So they never fixed it? I don't have 76 stations around me but I have the problem at all the others. -Gate, Shell, BP, Chevron.

It seems to be the air is not escaping properly and creates a large bubble in the tank that is held back in the tank by the fuel flowing down the neck. Then once the inflow of fuel stops is the bubble rapidly escapes out, bringing with it a bolus of wonderful smelling, flammable gas to douse all persons in its path, etch the finish on the side on the truck, awash the concrete in front of the fuel pump, and generally waste my money contaminating the environment with unused fuel.

I've seen so many people that have had a similar issue but none with an obvious fix, ie: replacing a vent/valve/or something. I like having the larger tank on the EL but what's the point if I can't utilize it? And even if I can't use that last segment of the tank, it'd be nice to fill it without having to don a Tyvek and wash down the side of the truck after each fill-up.
I joke with people about having to carry around a small gas station in the back because of the horrible gas mileage but that doesn't mean I actually want it to smell like a gas station due to all the spilled fuel.

Perhaps the different shape on the larger EL tanks is creates the bubble? Its sounding like a design flaw- because large bubbles like this should not develop while fueling.

Thanks for updating with what happened with yours.

OP
OP
EL Trucko

EL Trucko

Reaction score
my 07 does the same thing. please please please someone have an answer.

I don't tip off I fill it up till it clicks and stop and woosh about .5 gallons will spit back at me, and all over the side.

Is yours an EL also? Maybe someone will have a fix for us.

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I, too, have this problem with my 2007 EL. I found that filling slowly and listening for the rapid rise in sound, like something filling up, and then clicking off the handle manually helps but not always. My problem is we only really drive the vehicle on family trips and I always forget it pukes gas. I stuffed a rag around the gas cap to help me remember.
My 2006 F150 does not do this.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
My brother solved the same problem that he was having with his sportrac by replacing the rear charcoal canister. It was full of water. At first, he just tried emptying it out and reusing it, but that didn't work for long.

It doesn't take much of a blockage for that tank to pressurize and spit back fuel. It's also not much fun to get back/under there to troubleshoot the issue.

Limited'08

Reaction score
there is also a vent tube on the gas tank that can get clogged up with dirt/garbage/elements. this is the tube where the gas fumes vent out from. i've also seen this tube bent to heck and put back the wrong way after replacing the fuel pump.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes