HVAC EATC diagnostics and fan issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's my situation: 2012 XLT with HD ATC and heated/cooled seats. I've had the front blower fan replaced twice under warranty after it failed (last replacement was 15APR2016) and the blower control module twice (last replacement was 07APR2016). The system failed again yesterday (24APR2016), but started working again after I turned on the rear HVAC at the same time, and it's still working today.

I ran the EATC diagnostics on it this morning, and I got the code B2267 (right blend door failure). I don't know if this would cause the entire blower to stop working, but it seems strange that it would fail twice within a month and the dealer didn't run diagnostics, other than replacing the blower fan. Everything was covered under the ESP, with only my $100 deductible out of pocket.

Two questions:
1. Would the B2267 issue cause the blower to stop working?
2. Should I take it back to the same dealer for repair first (since I spent the deductible there, and the issue is recurring), or try a different dealer?

I just want my HVAC to work properly, especially since we're heading into summer and road trip season.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds more like poor connections between the electrical components that is causing the failures. I would take it back to the same dealer to avoid finger pointing between repair shops.
Since most places do not diagnose anymore and only throw parts at a problem, let them continue to throw parts at it.

I don't have the wiring diagrams for the 2012's but in the older generations the blend door would not cause the fan to have issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took it back to the servicing dealer for follow up, and I'm in a rental (2016 Fusion) today. The system's working, and I told him about the EATC DTC, so he'll have his techs look into it.

I wouldn't think the blend door would cause fan issues, but the way things are all networked together now, it wouldn't surprise me. I just want it working properly. Plus, if they fix the blend door issue, then my wife's feet won't be cold!

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Called the dealer yesterday, and of course, they aren't able to duplicate the problem or find any DTCs in the EATC. If they can't get it to fail this morning, they'll need to release the car back to me. Guess I'll live with it until it fails again. I might get a replacement EATC myself and see if that fixes the problem.

Very annoying.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you didn't clear the DTC then it was still in memory when they "ran their diagnostics - and cleared the code". Keep a copy of the work order and run the EATC diagnostics at your confidence. Once a code pops back up you now have somewhat of a timeline to hand them - code is now current and not historic. If they still want to skirt the issue, start climbing the ladder of management.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm going to do. I want it fixed properly. My service writer said the same thing, so we're all on the same page.