Looking at a 2007 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sold my old 97 Expedition a couple years ago but am looking at a 2007 EL 4x4 Eddie Bauer with every option available (really looking forward to having cooled seats). It is a seriously nice vehicle that could pass for 2 years old instead of 9. Is there anything I need to look out for? I have read about some the transmissions being jerky due to a tune issue. Is that something that will be noticeable after an extended test drive? The transmission was rebuilt with upgraded components according to the previous owner. Thanks for any info.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it have the one-piece spark plugs or the old two-piece design? Any indication of problematic cam phasers? Also check all the luxury features and make sure everything is working. The power running boards and climate controlled seats are both problem areas for these trucks.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cam phasers and timing chains can be expensive to fix..also look out for bubbles in the paint on the hood and trunk. Look closely at all the chrome wheels badges etc for peeling.

OP
OP
JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like having an oil pressure guage would help to identify some of the problems. Any tuners that can monitor oil pressure on the fly? Or do I need to tap into the oil pressure switch for a dedicated guage? I will definitely be listening for noises (warm and cold). After reading for a couple hours these motors kind of have me scared to buy a Ford. How common are these problems? I am mechanically inclined but by no means a mechanic. I don't want to get into a money pit situation.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like K9 said check all the features. If there is a button, push it. I don't think the 07s had the power running boards but the heated/cooled seats are an issue. Mine recently went out. Check all the settings for the climate control and move the seats all around. Check 3rd row fold down/up feature. If it has the drop down dvd check all functions. Check remotes, headphones etc. Love my 07 EL Limited.

OP
OP
JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the electronic creature comfort and infotainment works, I am most worried about the motor. It has 160,000 miles on it with no noticeable issues. My dad owns it currently and I know he would not try to screw me over on a known issue. The only issues he knows about are a tiny drip on the oil pan gasket that will only drip after weeks of being parked (he only put 5,000 miles on it in more than than a year) and also the paint bubbles on the aluminum hatch and hood. My dad is a heck of shade tree mechanic (taught me well) and he hasn't had any issues.

Here are my most important questions that I will need to find an answer on before I buy.

1. Are the cam phasers a very common problem and were there revised parts to cure the issue?

2. If the timing chain has stretched to a dangerous length and the tensioners are toast will I hear an audible slapping when cold or warm?

3. Can the oil pressure be monitored through a tuner to keep a close eye on any developing problems like chain tensioner fagments blocking the oil pump pickup?

4. How many miles can I reasonably expect out of a well maintained 5.4 three valve motor without being nickled and dimed to death?

Thanks for any info.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go to the home page...scroll down to 3rd gens and in there you'll find sticky for what to look for in 3rd gens

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. Are the cam phasers a very common problem and were there revised parts to cure the issue?

3. Can the oil pressure be monitored through a tuner to keep a close eye on any developing problems like chain tensioner fagments blocking the oil pump pickup?

4. How many miles can I reasonably expect out of a well maintained 5.4 three valve motor without being nickled and dimed to death?

1. It's a fairly common problem, though it seems far more common in '07s and '08s. I have nothing scientific to back that up; it's just an observation based on owner reports via the internet. Many people have installed a cam phaser lockout kit like this guy.

3. There is no PID for oil pressure afaik.

4. The 5.4 is generally well regarded, but there seem to be widely varying reports in terms of how many miles you can get out of it before it becomes a money pit. Someone posted the other day with 140K on the clock and said his has already become a money pit. Meanwhile, some other guys have hit 300K before that occurred. Based on the posts within the poll thread though, it doesn't look like too many people hit 200K without major issues. I'm hoping for a better experience as anything less than 200K in my book is total s**t.

OP
OP
JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
200k should be easy with the technology available today. My 2000 silverado has 220k and is still running fine.

Ford seriously didn't want to include an actual oil pressure PID to keep the ecu informed that there is enough pressure to run the vvt and keep the motor sufficiently lubricated? Wow! I don't understand why they would even consider skimping on something like that.

The phaser lockout kit will be going on at the first hint of an issue.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited: