Paint Bubbling, We need EVERYONE to register a complaint! READ FORDS RESPONSE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swartzzz

Reaction score
So, Ladies and Gentlemen. I have a 2007 Expedition EL, and I am having issues with the bubbling of the paint on the hatch and hood. I thought that I would register a complaint with Ford, and I guess there haven't been enough emails sent to Ford direct! I encourage EVERYONE to send an email! These are aluminum pieces, and corrosion should not happen!

"My name is Tori and I am with Ford’s Customer Service Division. I have received your e-mail regarding the paint bubbling on your hood and rear hatch of the 2007 Ford Expedition. I apologize for any frustration this may have caused you.

After reviewing my resources, I see that there are no factory warranties or programs in effect on your vehicle that would provide financial assistance for your current concern. We recommend that your vehicle be inspected by your local Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership to determine that cause of any symptoms you may be having on the vehicle. Your local dealership has factory-trained technicians, the most current engineering service information, and the specialized equipment required to resolve your concerns.

A lot of customers may go to non-Ford website and voice their concerns, but do not contact Ford to make us aware of this situation. If we are unaware that a concern exists, we are unable to review it and take action. It is great that you have contacted us to inform us about this concern the vehicle is having.

I have filed a vehicle complaint report on your behalf. A copy of this report will be forwarded to our engineers and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as well. This is how we gather information to identify and address potential recalls and Customer Satisfaction Programs. If a recall should be created after you have had a repair completed, you may be eligible for a refund if you have the paid original receipts still.

I apologize that we are not able to give you a more favorable response in regards to your concern."

OP
OP
S

swartzzz

Reaction score
My Reply (a little P'Oed)

"Tori.

Are you sure that you wouldn't want to revisit this? In doing research, the hood and hatch on an Expedition are Aluminum. And if you do the research on this, the only way that bubbling of paint on Aluminum happens is due to an inferior surface preparation or contamination. Please reconsider this! Aluminum should not corrode!"

OP
OP
S

swartzzz

Reaction score
And there escalated response:

"Hi Greg,

Thank you for writing us back. My name is Glaiza and I am from Ford's Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I had the opportunity to read your follow-up email.

Please be advised that Corrosion Warranty covers body sheet metal panels against corrosion due to a defect in factory-supplied material or workmanship.

Corrosion coverage only applies if the corrosion causes perforation (holes) in body sheet metal panels. If corrosion does not cause perforation (holes), or is the result of usage and/or environmental conditions, corrosion warranty would not apply.

Rust caused by exposed sheet metal from accidents or normal wear and tear are not defects in material or workmanship. The paint on the vehicle is covered under the terms of the Bumper to Bumper Warranty.

Corrosion Warranty coverage begins at the Warranty Start Date and lasts for five years, regardless of miles driven.

As previously advised, we would recommend that your vehicle must be inspected by a Ford Dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. Additionally, upon reviewing your vehicle's warranty information, I have verified that the New Vehicle Limited Warranty has expired. As much as we would want to assist our loyal customers with the cost of the repairs outside the usual warranty, only recalls or Customer Satisfaction Programs can permit us to do so.

Your next step is to make an appointment with Northland Ford by calling (724) 452-7530.

On behalf of Ford, I apologize for the disappointment you might have had as a result of this situation. Thank you for contacting For Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Glaiza "

06king

Reaction score
I have been looking at Expeditions / Navigators for a long while.... and it seemed even newer ones / low miles all had some way or another bubbling especially on the rear hatch.

I must say all of them either had bubbles or had been repainted... :(
& I have been looking anywhere form 2003 - 2007 - I figured by now the problem should've been fixed!

The first question I asked the sales person when I bought my 2006 was "before I make it there, can you check the hatch for bubbles?" He told me it was perfect... which it was... but it had been re-painted :)

clattin

Reaction score
I just bought an 07 EL and noticed it has some paint bubbling on the rear hatch just above the license plate bracket. I will also file a complaint!

Chris

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
i agree with this i have a 09 taurus and the paint is off by the rear plate now im mad

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have this same problem on my 08 heeds bubbling bad and the hatch has some paint missing by the plate, now i took it the the Ford dealer and asked them about it and they said they can't warranty it because they found damage on the underside of my hood which i call bs on and I asked them if this problem is common and they said no, how is that so? all you guys complain about it and the body shop that fixed my truck after my wreck said its a common thing and theres nothing he can do to fix it because all he would be doing is wasting suplys because it will come back and he told me there was a lady that came to him about it and she had an 09 with her entire hood covered in corrosion.

now the body man told me why its happening, whem Ford makes the hood and hatch they dip it in a chemical right before they paint it and the chemical is to help the paint dry faster and with the chemical being under the paint still and Ford puts the hood and hatch on the steel body of the Expy aluminum dosen't react well to being against the steel body which triggers the corrosion process, and Ford is planning on making the body of the F150 trucks some time in the future and all the hardware used to bolt the body on is going to trigger corrosion, just imagin that mess there.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my 07 used and it still had factory warranty when I bought it. I had the paint bubbles on the hood and hatch with about 30,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer the first time when I notices it on the hood. They repainted the hood. About a month after that I noticed the bubbles on the hatch. I took it back and they repainted the hatch. The dealer I took it too seemed to know where to look for the paint bubbles.