Power seat issue --HELP!!--

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crang94

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Expy Eddie Bauer with power seat, memory seat, heat/cooled seat and of course leather. It has 166000 km on it.

I'm getting ready for a vacation, and this might be a show stopper.
Just this week, I was trying to adjust the seat position and it would not move. I stopped the car, put it in park and tried all of the controls:
up/down, front/back, tilt and lumbar. No good. The last thing I remember adjusting was the lumbar.

My first thought was the fuse, but here is where it gets weird: when I stop the car and pull the key, it backs up to let me out. Also the memory functions work.

I then thought maybe there is a different circuit for the memory and the regular controls. I checkec the fuse (30A in the engine compartment) and it was good. Unfortunatley doing so also reset the memory seats,

Now the seat is stuck in 1 position and I can't move it!

Has anyone heard of this? Most of the posts I found were for the forward/back track jamming. This is not the case for me.

As far as I can tell, it is either wiring, switch module or the control computer in the seat.

any direction would be appreciated.

B

bedrck46

how good are your electrical troubleshooting skills do you have a meter, test lamp etc

B

bedrck46

The power seat is inoperative — driver, with power recliner
Fuse
Circuitry
Seat control switch

The power seat is inoperative — driver, without power recliner
Fuse
Seat control switch
Circuitry

The power seat is inoperative — passenger, with power recliner
Fuse
Circuitry
Seat control switch

The power seat is inoperative — passenger, without power recliner
Fuse
Seat control switch
Circuitry

The power seat moves but is loose
Fastening hardware
Seat track

The power seat moves but is noisy
Seat track

The power seat does not make full travel
Seat track obstructed
Seat track

The power seat does not move horizontally/vertically/recline — driver
Seat track
Circuitry
Seat control switch
Power seat motor

The power seat does not move horizontally/vertically — driver
Seat track
Circuitry
Seat control switch
Power seat motor

The power seat does not move horizontally/vertically/recline — passenger
Seat track
Circuitry
Seat control switch
Power seat motor

The power seat does not move horizontally/vertically — passenger
Circuitry
Seat track
Seat control switch
Power seat motor

OP
OP
C

Crang94

Reaction score
I have a multimeter, and some skills with using it.

looking at the options, I am thinking either a wiring issue, the button module or the seat computer is faulty, given these facts:
1- the seat backs up when I take out the key (forward/backward works)
2- The memory functions were working until I pulled the seat fuse.

Also, the wire loom between the seat control module and the seat computer is a bit worn, but not worn through the plastic, so I don't think the wires are frayed.

I didn't think to check the heat/cool seats, which I will do today. I am also getting the wiring diagram from the ford dealer which should help troubleshoot the issue.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for any futher suggestions.

B

bedrck46

if you need the wiring prints let me know also which seat isn't working correctly
I am assuming the drivers seat

OP
OP
C

Crang94

Reaction score
@ bedrck46: wiring diagrams would be good. I got ford to print off some and I have another set from a different source but they seem to be conflicting!

I narrowed down the issue to the wiring or control module. The seat is getting power from the 2 source, and if I jump it over to the seat controls, the controls work.

I will update the progress later today.

B

bedrck46

will send you the wiring prints for the drivers seat you may have to wait till I get back home in the next hour or two

OP
OP
C

Crang94

Reaction score
Thanks for the diagrams.

I figured out what the issue was. A fuse. But before you scoff at me, let me explain:

The specifics:
2007 Expy Eddie Bauer Driver seat
10 way controls
heated, cooled and airbags.
Driver seat controls not functional. Power pedals functional. Memory seats functional (until I pulled the seat fuse from the engine bay). Easy egress functional.

The diagnosis:
My diagrams show that the controls are directly connected to a fuse pin 5 CN3016 to F45 30A in the engine bay.

What is in fact is that the Pin5 is connected to the SUV via CN311 and changes color. Green/red on the seat to green violet on the SUV. I am not sure what pin number it is on the CN311, but it is right next to the one tied to the 7.5A fuse (Yel/Red).

Where I found that there should be 2 power sources to the seat, there are in fact 3. The third one was the issue. The line was connected to the interior fuse panel to position 11 (I think) which in my owners manual shows "Not USED". It was a 10A fuse and immediately above the 7.5A fuse for the seat (position 12 I think).

I found this fuse after eliminating the seat by tracing the wire directly between CN3016 and CN311. I deduced that the line must be connected to another circuit not labeled in the book. Fortunately it was the 5th fuse I removed.

Well there you go. The only thing I can guess is that the empty fuse panel was a retrofit or I have the wrong owner manual.

Well there it is. I am glad the dealer was busy today or I would have left it with them and come home with a lighter wallet.

Thanks everyone for your input. I hope this post will help at least one poor soul having the same problem.

Also, as an aside: when I took off the fuse panel cover, I also remove the kick plate. I found in the wire raceway, a burnt piece of ford label. I then noticed that a wire had been spliced and replaced. It was a blue wire with white stripe, spliced into 3. Obviously it shorted out and caused some sort of damage. If you are in the area, visually inspect for the Y wire and check the splice is good. It may be just my truck as the previous owner installed a rear view camera and there are wires all shoved in the area.