Regular or Premium

Regular or Premium?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
regular 99% of the time... and once I did 93 octane for my level 3 on my edge... but I will stick to regular

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i tend to do premium form time to time...maybe once a month

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I always used regular stock but now I use premium.

Theoritically if you raise the timing to make use of the premium you will increase your fuel efficiency.

Someone with a tuner needs to check their milage on premium vs regular tune and do a cost per mile analysis. If it is equal or better on the premium tune I would stick with premium...more power. If it is worse then you at least you know the cost per mile for that extra power.. :)

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normally I use regular. I have the Superchips Cortex and the regular program makes more power than the tune for premium. When I tow I use premium because the tow program needs it.

OP
OP
G

grandebob

Reaction score
I have yet to actually fill the tank on my Expy yet, however I voted regular since that is what I will use 90% of the time. I usually fill up with premium if I'm going to be towing. Not sure if this actually helps at all...

I've read that most newer engines have electronic knock sensors that can adjust for different types of fuel. Here is a nice C&D article on the differences. Looks like I've been kidding to myself when I "treat" my car to premium.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/01q4/regular_or_premium_-feature

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well since the price has gone down in my neck of the woods i have filled up with premium twice.

And i have to say that the but dino deff liked the premium!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i dont use them. i use middle. 89. but i have done premium before. not really a difference. but if i dont have a choice then i put 87 in. and toms if i raise the timing i can get more mpg... if thats true then ill keep the edge! with my hypertech it didnt like regular and it didnt like premium. so thats why i used 89.