Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shrek08

Reaction score
Bought me a set of aftermarket wheels and tires had them put on and felt a vibration towards the rear of the vehicle. so i had them rebalanced and guy that balanced them said that one of my wheels was really off so i put my stock wheels back on to try and get the problem fixed by the way stock wheels have brand new tires on them and the vibration has got worse. Any ideas on what it could be? My mechanic thinks that my tie rod may be going bad. Any suggestions would greatly help. Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Vibrations are usually caused by a rotating mass that isn't true or isn't balanced. Since it is at a high rpm I would expect to see a tire slightly out of balance or possibly a rim that isn't true. One way to check is to have the wheel/tire assemblies balanced on the vehicle while observing how true they rotate.

Are the tires and rims you bought new or used?

A worn tie rod end will show up as uneven tire wear and is easy to check. There are no maybes here - just look, check and see. It is either in spec or out. Your "mechanic" should have checked the tie rods instead of "thinking" they may be bad. Also you would feel a clunk (slight hammering) in the steering if it is worn badly enough.

OP
OP
S

Shrek08

Reaction score
On the factory set I just put new nitto a/t and the the aftermarket set was New wheels and tires also. He checked the tie rods and they looked good. No popping in steering. What about sway bar?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, not a rotating piece. It controls lean amount by the twisting of the swaybar. Basically a larger diameter bar offers more resistance to twist which equals less lean.

Check the run out of the tires and of the wheels. You're looking for out of round and wobble side to side.

You could also swap the front and rear wheel/tire assy to see if it moves with them.

OP
OP
S

Shrek08

Reaction score
I actually can feel it in the front and the back but the back is worse. Just can't understand if the tires balance out perfect why is it still vibrating

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can balance a slightly out of round tire but it will still "hop" since it is out of round.
The wheel assy can also be untrue if it is tightened incorrectly.

The tire shop should have enough smarts to find the cause, it will just require them to start looking instead of guessing.

What tread pattern did you choose?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had this prob on my rims and i had 24s...now 26s...what i have found is they cant stack the weights in one spot like theyre used to doing when balancing on the machine...they must spread the weights out and when balanced that way u shouldnt have that prob anymore...when theyre not used to doing larger diameter rims this is what happens...so i tell them every time to space the weights across the rim when balancing and i've never had the problem again...