Wrench icon 2007

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7FordExpedition

Reaction score
I have an 07 Eddie Bauer. From time to time all the gauges light up, go off, light up, go off, spedo rotates from what ever speed I am doing to 0 and back, the trac system icon comes on and it flashes back and forth from that to the wrench.

Then it goes into survival mode and the wrench stays on and I limp home or to a Ford dealer shop. Sometimes I can stop, turn it off and let it sit for a minute then start it up and it will be fine. Often time the engine light will come on and stay on for several off/on cycles. Last time it did this it I got it to a Ford dealer while it was happening. They kept it 7 days, consulted with Ford Ford, replaced the ABS mod and said it was fixed! Hurray! $1100 dollar bill and 20 gallons of gas they used up driving it around to check it and stuff.

Picked the car up last evening around closing time as they asked me to do. 10 miles down the road ... wrench icon comes on, stayed on, survival mode.

I did take it back to them this morning but I was wondering if anyone else has had this kind of problem. Started doing this in October of last year and 3 dealers from Hondo Texas to Aberdeen North Carolina have tried to fix it with no luck.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wrench reconfigurable telltale indicator is never/always on

Electronic throttle concern
Transmission concern
Four wheel drive (4WD) concern (if equipped)
Instrument cluster

the following was copied from the 2007 ford workshop manual

Normal Operation
The wrench reconfigurable telltale can be turned on by any one of three modules. The powertrain control module (PCM) provides the electronic throttle control status, the transmission control module (TCM) provides transmission status and the four wheel drive (4WD) control module (if equipped) provides a status of the 4WD system to the instrument cluster. Each module monitors the powertrain for their respective function and provides the instrument cluster with the operating status over the high speed controller area network (HS-CAN) communication bus. When a fault condition exists in any of the monitored systems, the PCM, TCM or 4WD (if equipped) control modules provide the instrument cluster with a message to turn on the wrench warning indicator.

If the electronic throttle control message is missing or if the data is deemed invalid by the instrument cluster for greater than 5 seconds, the instrument cluster sets DTC U0100 and defaults the wrench reconfigurable telltale ON. If the O/D off message is missing or invalid for greater than 5 seconds, the instrument cluster sets DTC U0101 and defaults the wrench reconfigurable telltale ON. If equipped with 4WD and the 4WD status message is missing or invalid for more than 5 seconds, the instrument cluster sets DTC U0102 and defaults the wrench reconfigurable telltale ON.

NOTE: If U0100 is set in the instrument cluster other symptoms may also be present such as an inoperative speedometer, tachometer or temperature gauge. If U0101 is set, other symptoms may include the O/D off indicator ON. If DTC U0102 is set, other symptoms may include the 4x4, 4x4 LOW or 4x4 AUTO reconfigurable telltales may be inoperative.

Possible Causes
Electronic throttle control concern
Transmission concern
4WD concern (if equipped)
Instrument cluster

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
anytime you have codes read it is best to write the codes down so you can look them up or receive help here on the forum

also kindly update your signature line to show your expy's information this can be done in the user CP sections that helps to give you better advice specific to your year and model

Last edited:
OP
OP
7FordExpedition

7FordExpedition

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the wrench icon does display and stays on until I shut the car off. It may not supposed to do that but it has happened before and it did last evening.

Often times the trac system icon and the wrench switch back and forth for a while.

I will check with Crossroads Ford for the codes. They told me they narrowed it down from the codes to 4 modules. They consulted with who ever Ford has for a dealer to consult with and decided it was the ABS module which they replaced and I picked it up from them yesterday evening.

Like I said above, 10 miles and it did it again. I took it back and they have it now.

I will give them a call and see what codes they got.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
post the codes when you get them then I will check the manual and post any information on the codes

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that's the kind of response that I hate.
Them not being happy to give you information that you most likely paid a high price, for them doing the work

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That dealer doesn't have a tech that can determine the cause.
It really bunches up my shorts when I hear crap like your getting from a dealer. The software they should have can look at live data as it is happening. What that means is you can see the incorrect data that is triggering the wrench icon.

In laymen terms here is what is happening: The ecm asks the modules how they are doing. All but one reply in english, the other is mumbling some nonsense. The ecm says "what?" and the reply is the same babble. Then the ecm says "screw this and turns the wrench icon on". It also logs a code of the offending babble.
Techs are then supposed to have enough sense to look in the direction that the code is saying where the problem lies.

They owe you for a refund on the abs "repair" since it isn't fixed and that wasn't a problem.

The trac system icon and the wrench icon are a clue to the problem.

The "I've narrowed it down to 4 modules bs" is bs. A good tech narrows it down to the failing part and verifies the failure. Parts tossers nail you for abs repairs that aren't necessary.

Have you or anybody else added anything into any electrical harness?

Last edited: