03 expedition xlt change spark plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbat

Reaction score
How many kms/miles should i change spark plugs? How do you know if there still good to go?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Well the factory says 100,000 miles. But.... if you wait that long, you're very likely to break off a plug. Carbon builds up in the plug threads and locks it in, and the two piece design of the plug provides the place for it to break off when you try to take it out.

The best preventitive maintenance is to remove the plugs (change them if you like) clean the threads, put some never seize on them and reinstall. If you do this every 20 or 30 thousand miles, you'll never have to worry about stuck plugs.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is not a problem with the 03 years, since only the 2V engines were offered for those years.

Factory says 100k miles, but you lose engine performance as the plugs get older.

Berg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if mine are stuck i have 86k miles.

optik

Reaction score
Mine were stuck at 102k. I used penetrating oil, and still ended up breaking 3 of them off. The tool to remove the broken ones cost me about $100, and was surprisingly easy to use.

Also, the threads are not that important when it comes to applying anti-seize. The important part is the smooth part below the threads that seizes up. Important thing is that you don't put any on the tapered part at the tip or you could mess with the spark.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze