2003 4.6 EB Random Poor Running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
My wife has been complaining about her expy "coughing" gently when she has been driving it. She says it does not feel like a full on misfire. I have taken it out and hadn't been able to detect it until today. It just felt like an ever so slight miss.
I have a scanner but there are no fault codes. The truck has 120k on the clock and the maintenance book shows no sign of the plugs having been changed. Is it worth just changing out the plugs or is there and tests / additional diagnostics I can look at.
If I do change the plugs, is there a preferred brand? Also is it worth changing out the COP's as well?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use motorcraft plugs and if you don't change the coils at least install new boots and use dielectric grease on the wires.
You may also want to remove the throttle body and clean the exhaust port that go thru the TB There are some good videos on youtube about cleaning the TB.

Msport

Reaction score
I agree with roxy1225, especially if you are not sure when the plugs were changed, but it can also be bad gas... When I switched over to top tier gas, it made a big difference in my truck (03 5.4l) with smoother acceleration. My wife was complaining about the same thing at one time, random misfires at highway speeds...

OP
OP
jt_armstrong

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I don't think it is gas as there have been a few tanks through it since the wife first noticed it. We buy shell (suckered by the the Ralph's points) so the gas should be good.
I will pull the plugs next weekend and go from there. What about the COP''s is it worth doing these as well? If so what brand would you go with?

OP
OP
jt_armstrong

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
Just an update - started changing out the plugs. This is a PITA for sure. So far the plugs that have come out have gaps of .086. Given the spec is .052-.056 I'm surprised it even started at all.