2003 noise that we cant figure out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just bought a 2003 Expedition XLT with 123k. I took it to a mechanic to look it over and he gave me the green light. I mentioned to him the noise I was hearing, a grinding, dragging, metallic noise. He didn't hear it when he drove it so i thought maybe its nothing. I am still hearing the noise and told him it happened most between 1600-2000 rpm and between 30-40mph after engaging 3rd gear. Again he drove it and still couldn't hear it. So i drove it with him in it and we heard it, but not enough to exactly pinpoint it yet, but his first thought was something to do with ABS. They told me to take the weekend to see if i hear it anymore and they'll look at it pro-bono for a certain amount of time. So tonight we take it out for a little country ride, and again the noise is there but more frequently. We were cruising at 60 when it was the worst and most constant. Was still intermittent at freeway speeds of 70-80. On the way home after hearing the noise again and cancelling cruise control and resetting it at a lower speed my service engine soon light kicked on. Anyone have any idea what this might be? I am no mechanic. Sorry this is wordy but i thought i better put all the detail in there as possible.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the codes read for a start. It may be something in addition to the noise problem. Where does the noise seem loudest, front, rear, driver or pass side?
Does the pitch change with a change in speed?

Last edited:

FordGate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say it is probably something brake related. The check engine light could mean anything so definitely check asap. You bought a vehicle at the end of its "cheap" life and you may have a serious money pit moving forward. Hopefully you didn't pay more than $2k or so for it.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
The noise never changes its pitch. Seems loudest from front driver side but that's where I'm always sitting. Had code read this morning. It's P0128 thermostat.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the noise is not affected by speed nor engine rpm? But only audible when driving?

Stuff that comes to mind is dust shield on brake rotor touching something, worn brake pads, or something touching an axle, but that would certainly be noises that changes with the speed of the truck.

Is the truck a 4x4 or 2wd?

Msport

Reaction score
For the grinding, dragging, metallic noise: Wheel Hub Assy???

Service engine soon light: Scan for codes...

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
So the noise is not affected by speed nor engine rpm? But only audible when driving?

Stuff that comes to mind is dust shield on brake rotor touching something, worn brake pads, or something touching an axle, but that would certainly be noises that changes with the speed of the truck.

Is the truck a 4x4 or 2wd?

The truck is 4WD. Mechanic says brakes look good when he did the pre purchase inspection. I was also thinking it might be something touching the axle. I was thinking on it some more And it sounds like something needs some grease. Do ball bearings require grease? If it is a front hub would I be able to see any unusual tire wear?

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless the front end on the '03 is different than the '05, there's no grease points from the factory, but many aftermarket ball joints, tie rod ends and control arms do offer grease nipples, so if any of these has been replaced in the past it may have them. Only way to find out is to look for them.

Could be wheel bearing/hub, but then again, if the noise doesn't change with speed.. Jack it up and try to feel for play in the hub by grabbing the wheel at 12 o'clock, 6 o'clock and try to wiggle, repeat same for 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Spin it to see if it spins freely and listen for noise, but not all bad wheel bearings/hub give noise when there's no weight on the wheel.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Have found that it is very consistent at 2000 rpm's no matter the speed of vehicle. Have had some friends who are more mechanically inclined than I suggest it could be a loose heat shield. Thoughts?

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be, there's several heat shields you can check if they are bent or loose. The way you describe it makes it sound like something vibrating and resonating at 2000 rpm. If it was something rotating, it would change in pitch and be different.