2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Emission Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Telaguy

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Ford Expedition that I bought used about 2 years ago. It passed the smog check at that time with no problem. One day I decided to degrease and wash the outside of the engine. I did that to both my 2006 F-150 King Ranch and to this car. The next day, as my wife was driving the Expedition, she started having problems with the engine shaking and sounding rough. I ended up having the Fuel Injection Throttle Body, because the dealer said that's what was wrong with it, but to no avail. I also had the spark plugs replaced, and 3 of them broke, but with tool that Ford sold, we were able to take everything out. That didn't work. We then put a scanner to it ant it said the O2 Sensors on Bank 2 needed replacing, and I replaced both Bank 1 and Bank 2.
At this point, I don't know what to do. I imagine that something happened when I degreased and washed the engine, where maybe water entered somewhere.

We scanned it again, and now it's giving P0420 (Bank 1 CAT) and P0430 (Bank 2 CAT), P1184 (Engine Oil Temp), and P1988 (TCS out of self test Range).

I'm going crazy because every time we replace something that is scanned, something else comes up in the scanner.

All along, the Check Engine Light has been on, although there were about 3 months that it was out and then came back on.

Now it's time to register the car again and have to smog check it. I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy both Catalytic Converters, which aren't cheap, and if something else is wrong, then it might ruin the new ones.

Has anyone gone through this before and been able to fix it?

solidpvc

Reaction score
Wow...sorry to hear you are having so much trouble from cleaning the engine.

The only thing I can suggest is to see if all the things you've replaced, and what the codes say is wrong, end up at the same place. Like the pcm or some other module.

It could be that a wiring bundle connector got soaked and is causing problems. I'd start tracing wires from the easiest accessible part you replaced.

If you need a good source for schematics, let me know and I'll pm you.

Tom.

2k3Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We scanned it again, and now it's giving P0420 (Bank 1 CAT) and P0430 (Bank 2 CAT), P1184 (Engine Oil Temp), and P1988 (TCS out of self test Range).

I would reset the codes and run the tests again. The P1184 and P1780 should hopefully disappear. Do you have a scanner? What is the mileage on the truck.

OP
OP
T

Telaguy

Reaction score
OK, my friend just brought his scanner and it now said :"P430 Bank 2 Cat efficiency below limit". He also did a running scan and it showed: "P1184 Engine Oil Temp out of self test range". He then proceeded to reset the codes and the "P430 Bank 2 Cat" code still appears.
By the way, mileage on the truck is 106,607.

If you have any suggestions on what I can do, please make me aware.

OP
OP
T

Telaguy

Reaction score
I was offered to buy both Catalytic Converters from a 2006 Expedition that was totaled for $550, so I can install them in my 2005 Expedition. Is that a good deal? Are there any misgivings about doing that?

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to have my right one replaced at 71k miles(threw the same code back in '08), I've been running a generic OBDII cat ($150 installed) and I got no problems im at 130k now