4r70w fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lithiatwats

Reaction score
I have an 04 5.4 4x4 EB, am looking to change tranny fluid- it has the 4r70w tranny- does this have a drain plug for torque converter? Guess changing fluid without draining this is pointless?

OP
OP
L

Lithiatwats

Reaction score
Thanks for link. Had read somewhere that beyond 2001/02 they stopped putting drain plugs in the TC, hence my question. I guess it get complicated if you need to pump it out....and messy

mwhyes

Reaction score
I just checked, I think you'll be fine - Section 307-01B in the shop manual for the 2003 Expedition (free version posted earlier this month) on p2183 specifically states removing the drain plug on the torque converter as a defined step in draining the tranny fluid. I realize you have a 2004, however I think the trannys stayed the same.

OP
OP
L

Lithiatwats

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and doing some investigation. There was no drain plug unfortunately. Took plastic cover off, span the motor but couldn't see a drain plug.....having looked elsewhere it seems they may have been abandoned post 2001. Didn't fancy disconnecting the cooling lines to drain.

Anyway pan dropped and filter changed. Got 5 quarts of fresh fluid in it which is better than nothing. Was original fluid!!! 104000 miles and tranny was smooth but glad I changed it now I have found out it was original. Let's just hope it doesn't $hit itself in the next few hundred miles. Hopefully with recommended service intervals it will go for another 100000

Fair play to you ford, that's not a bad tranny!....

mwhyes

Reaction score
Sorry for the wrong information - that is good to know! In some respects 5 qt's may by a good thing as you wont be "shocking" the tranny with all new fluid, but what do I know!