Battery Drain/Door Adjar Message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We're experiencing a battery drain on our 03EB. Battery is 9 mos old. Since we have a door lock problem hense the message "door adjar" is it possible this is draining the battery?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
with all the doors closed and key out and engine off you will need to find out what kind of amp draw you have at the battery This will require you to hook up a amp meter in the neg battery lead Once we know the amp draw it will be a matter of pulling fuses to determine which circuit/s are causing the excessive amp draw

How well can you read and understand electrical prints??

Do you have your owners manual which will show you the location of the fuses etc.??

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was an electrician in the navy 40 years ago. Electrical isn't a problem. I planned on doing that but before doing so was just curious if the door adjar situation could cause a parasitic drain on the battery.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We're experiencing a battery drain on our 03EB. Battery is 9 mos old. Since we have a door lock problem hence the message "door ajar" is it possible this is draining the battery?

Are you the original owner? How long has this problem been going on? With all the doors closed, does the radio turn off as soon as you turn off the key? It should remain on for ten minutes or until someone opens one of the doors. Are the dome lights stuck on ? It's most likely the driver's door ajar switch located in the door lock for that door. It's a fairly common failure item. It's just a button switch mounted in the mechanical door latch. Fairly easy to replace. I posted some pics in another thread. If it was the rear liftgate you would get a "Liftgate Ajar" message. You basically have to remove the interior door panel, the exterior door handle, and the three torx screws that retain the latch in the door, to be able to move and rotate the latch so you can access the switch. The door lock problem is probably related to the switch also.

-Mike

This is the driver's door switch....
FordBaddoorjambswitch_zps58a0e222.jpg

This is actually the bottom of the door latch, where the switch mounts.... quarter turn to release the switch....
FordDoorLockmechanism_zps832d0b00.jpg

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stamp11127 thanks that's what I wanted to know. Yes if I don't turn off the dash light dimmer switch the puddle lights stay on. I've got to decide if I want to dig into all this or take it to the dealership.

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hamfisted thanks for the pics. I've got to decide if I want to dig into this.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would first attempt to make the repairs or do a little troubleshooting before you decide to take it to the dealer and get a big run around and a costly repair bill.

I also was an EM in the navy and I must admit I am not all that crazy about automotive electrical.

Both Stamp11127 and I have a complete set of prints if you need any.

First though it would be nice to know your amp draw and then we can recommend some fuses for you to pull to see how it effects the load.

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Roxy1225 thanks. I'll start troubleshooting it the next several days. Just finished cutting splitting and stacking 6 chords firewood for winter. This old body needs to rest a coup!e of days. I'll post findings when I get them.
Thanks!