Cold air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stangant

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have the 5.4L navi and the intakes seem to be way overpriced at around 350$!! Does anyone know of any at a more reasonable 150$?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only used for that price...check ebay...and search for "Gotts Mod"...about $15 in supplies and you make your own intake with same performance...MANY have done it...so it works

OP
OP
S

stangant

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok cool... I have never seen a tube be so much money. Haha

03EXPO4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
95% of all these "cold air intakes" arent cold at all. If you don't buy a cold air intake that runs out the fender you are just going to be sucking in hot engine air. If not than your stock intake with a gotts mod is going to perform better. If you are looking to see noticable gains with any intake you will need a tune too. Save you money for a tuner and just gotts mod it. Just my opinion tho. Haha

Last edited:

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
....and even the Gotts mod has almost no measurable gains.

In the past I made CAIs using ABS plastic tubing, then coating it with whatever I could to help it resist heating up. Frankly, something like a Subaru-style hood scoop to an open panel would probably be the only true CAI I can think of. Even then, it's not to say the engine will pull in any more air - but the air might-could be cooler.

OP
OP
S

stangant

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have actually been looking for a hood scoop for the truck. Maybe a mustang mach 1 shaker scoop would be cool.

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is no such thing as cold air intake if it not tuck on the fender , if it tuck inside the engine bay, its hot air intake :), useless crap

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is no such thing as cold air intake if it not tuck on the fender , if it tuck inside the engine bay, its hot air intake :), useless crap

Regardless of whether it is through the fender or behind the headlight assembly the increased airflow is what provides the extra power and then tuning optimizes it. Regardless of where you take in the air, as long as it is not coming from directly behind the radiator, it will be cool air because the air flows through the engine compartment and there is a big opening right in front of the wheel well. behind the headlight assembly.