Dragging brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k_aimone

Reaction score
So I did a full break job about a month ago. When I went to start I noticed the front drivers wheel was tough to turn. Once I removed the wheel I couldn't get the caliper off of the rotor. I figured it was a problem with either the caliper or the hose, so I changed both, did all the pads, four rotors, and a fluid change.

Fast foward to today. I went to have the new tires installed and the same problem. The caliper is still holding some pressure. So much so that there is evidence of overheating on the rotor and caliper. I don't swapping out the parts again, which I will do and a wheel bearing, but I can't think of what is causing the issue. Could it be a master cylinder?

The truck is an 05 2wd.

If you have any ideas please chime in.

Thanks in advance.
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a Taurus SHO with dragging brakes. Turned out to be the rubber lines to the calipers swelling up inside. The looked fine on the outside but kept some pressure on the pads. Crack the bleeder and see if there is pressure in there.

OP
OP
K

k_aimone

Reaction score
I had a Taurus SHO with dragging brakes. Turned out to be the rubber lines to the calipers swelling up inside. The looked fine on the outside but kept some pressure on the pads. Crack the bleeder and see if there is pressure in there.

Ok I will try that, but the brake hose and caliper are brand new.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before swapping out the bad caliper, change the brake fluid in all four calipers. That way once you install the new caliper you will not be filling it with dirty brake fluid.

OP
OP
K

k_aimone

Reaction score
Stamp

When I installed the caliper and hose last time I did a full bleed. I have a motive power bleeder, and pushed fluid threw until it was clear.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fluid change before or after the caliper replacement? If it was after, you pushed dirty fluid through a new caliper. Many have done it without problems and some have had issues.