Ford AC drain elbow installation...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post some updates to the A/C drain elbow installation. Sooner or later you're going to get water soaking the passenger side carpet insulation and other than a possible clogged drain, this is the only fix. There is a TSB out on this problem, it occurs in the F150, Navigators, Expeditions prior to the 2010 model year.

You need to remove the front right wheel, wheelwell liner, transmission dipstick tube, plastic A/C drain shield, just to access the A/C drain tube end.
Just prior to trying to stick the elbow onto the drain tube end you need to soak the elbow in boiling water for about 15 minutes to soften up the elbow making it much easier to get onto the drain end. Without soaking in boiling water it is almost impossible to get the elbow over the drain end.

I used a long azz screwdriver from underneath the truck to pry the elbow onto the drain end. Its a very tight restrictive area and that's about the only thing you can get up in there. Jacking up the truck to give you some room really helps too. I'm out of time right now but I'll edit this later to clear it up.

-Mike

Drain elbow .... F3LY-6A614-A
DSCN1434.jpg

Drain elbow in place ....
FordACDrainElbow02_zps9518341f.jpg

Plastic drain shield that must be removed.....
FordExpACdrainshieldremoved_zpse69205c8.jpg

Here's the drain shield installed on the truck....
ExpeditionACdraincover04_zps23e39e51.jpg

Main tool you'll be using to get the elbow on is a long ass screwdriver....
LongScrewdriverRidgid_zps3011cb8e.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the sort of write up we need for these freakish problems.

THX for being so exacting and taking pics.

At this time, I am still unclear about what the problem is? Is the elbow no longer an elbow? Does it get stopped up? Does the drain cover get stopped up?

+1 for the big-azz screw driver that can be had cheap at HF.

OP
OP
Hamfisted

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No elbow from the factory...

There's no elbow from the factory on these trucks. The straight pipe A/C drain only protrudes about 3/8" from the firewall and at highway speeds (due to air pressure against the firewall ) drain water can blow back into the firewall and floor insulation. After putting this elbow on and watching the water drain like a water fountain it was alarming to think that all that water was getting trapped up in the firewall and surrounding insulation. It just pours out on the ground now. The black plastic shield that covers the stock drain tube will be left off now. It does not fit with the elbow there. The job is probably possible without pulling the inner wheelwell liner off if you can get the plastic shield off with the long screwdriver. Pulling the tranny dipstick tube out will give you a little more room ( its held in by one big bolt on the side of the motor head...). Soaking the elbow in boiling water to soften it really helps in the installation. I did not see this mentioned in the TSB or any other write ups.
Overall this is a pain in the butt job. But if it cures the wet flooring its worth it.

-Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hamfisted

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. Any of them that have the A/C draining back into the cabin floor insulation and soaking the carpet. It is a fairly common problem. Maybe they fixed it on the 3rd generation trucks but someone will have to check. The TSB ran all the way to the 2010 model year. So maybe they leave it up to the owners to fix it.

-Mike

Last edited:

WannaBeCarGirl

Reaction score
Any new tips for this issue? I've got an 04 Navigator I'm trying to do this on. I can only see the drain tube end from underneath the truck and once I get the screwdriver/elbow up there I can't see a thing to get it securely on.

even if I get it in place, I'm not sure I can see from any other vantage point to see if it's on securely. Also cannot get my hand to it, even though I am female so should have smallish hands. I think I can get my hand just within about and inch or so of the drain tube. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I did unbolt the tranny dipstick but from where I'm going, I can't see that it helped any. And I still can't go from the side or see it from the side.

Thanks for any advice!!
~Marci

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hamfisted

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I boiled the elbow in hot water for about 10 minutes to soften it up before I pushed it on the end piece. That really helped. I think it's too stiff if you don't. Once you have it up there just wiggle it on and it should slip over the drain outlet no problem. I can't say removing the tranny fill tube was that much of a benefit after it was all said and done, but at the time it seemed like a good idea. It's been a few years since I did it and can't really remember much about it.

-Mike

WannaBeCarGirl

Reaction score
Thanks for the note. I did try boiling it--multiple times since I tried (and failed!) so many times to get it on. :) I can get it where it looks like it might be on, but then comes dislodged or crooked when I remove the screwdriver. The O2 sensor is right there, the elbow butts up against it.

Even if I get it where it looks like it's on, I'm unsure if the top is snug against the firewall because I can't even see it. and from the tranny dipstick side, I can only see the bottom of the elbow once it's up there.

Been thinking about it all night. Got to try some more...

Thanks again,
~marci

OP
OP
Hamfisted

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah use a long wide blade screwdriver and you should be able to push it on there fairly easy. I got this screwdriver over at Home Cheapo in the Husky tools section.

-Mike

WannaBeCarGirl

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, y'all, just have to vent. So my husband thought he got the elbow on there after I worked at it a few days. Less than a week later, more water. I slide under the car, no elbow. Figure it fell off.

Meanwhile, my favorite service guy at the shop left so I can't even deal with someone who I trust...but I thought the other guys'd be ok there too.

Had my son take the car into the shop. I explained the problem over the phone, sent the TSB for 2005-2006 Navigators, and another new elbow.

They came back and said the elbow is still on. WTF. My pictures look just like those in this thread so I'm pretty sure i know where I'm looking, no clue where they are looking and I'm real curious to see where the tech thinks he saw the elbow. Yes, I slid under the car again, NO ELBOW.

Going to have to take it back in if I ever get my ride out of the shop and may have to show them exactly what I mean.

I am one frustrated car girl!!!

Thanks for listening...