Ford door jamb switch replacement....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a very common problem with Fords, the driver's door jamb switch. Ford in their infinite wisdom chose to put this pin switch in the door locking mechanism. The same mechanism that gets slammed maybe 30+ times a day (maybe more in a work truck...). Anyway I thought I'd post some pics on the removal and replacement of this little pin switch since I haven't found a whole lot out there on the web. If your dome light doesn't come on when you open the door, or any of the other door open functions, this switch is probably your culprit. The switches are side dependent, so order for the left or right side as needed. The driver's door is most common, so that's where we'll focus.

New door jamb switch from Rock Auto (AirTex 1S3679 $23)....
getimage.php

Start by removing the door panel. 5 screws total and a couple of trim pieces...
Expod-Door-Panel_zpsc0ef6a55.gif

Remove the switch and door handle trim pieces by just prying up...
DriversPanelSwitches_zps28f79c19.jpg

Of course what door panel would be complete without the hidden door handle screws ...
Hidden-Panel-Torx_zps54638d19.gif

Once door panel is removed you can peel away moisture barrier and fold it out of the way.... it's pretty durable and you won't tear it.
ExpodDoorPanelRemoved_zps8c59893c.jpg

Remove the three Torx screws that retain the lock mechanism ...
P1000477_zps0c7df2bc.jpg

With the lock mechanism freed from the door, remove the exterior door handle by removing the two 11mm nuts on either end (accessed from the inside of door...) and remove the two connecting rods from the handle, set it aside out of the way....
Expod-Door-Handle-Off_zpsfaf28f90.gif

Now that the lock mechanism is free all you need to do is flip it up so that you have access to it's bottom area to unplug and twist free the pin switch...
rotate the switch a quarter turn clockwise to release the switch from the mechanism....

DoorLockMech_zpsc6c18bda.jpg

This is the bottom of the lock mechanism where the switch mounts/locks in with a quarter turn twist....
FordDoorLockmechanism_zps832d0b00.jpg

This was the old pin switch, notice the ball plunger is mashed down (not even showing anymore...) and will not pop up . No amount of solvent, lube, degreaser, was gonna fix that....
FordBaddoorjambswitch_zps58a0e222.jpg

Once you get the new switch in reassembly is a snap. There's actually a lot of room to work inside the door, but you would never be able to twist free the old switch and install the new one without freeing up the lock mechanism and getting it to a place where you can see it. I recommend only lubing the door lock area with silicone spray and not using any type of oils that will collect into the switch and gum up the works.

-Mike

Last edited:

Council2

Reaction score
Could this be why mine info center is telling me door ajar and interior lights will not turn off?

Council2

Reaction score
Sprayed some WD in for first try it worked, but will tear down when it gets warm enough to mess with as long as it keeps working for now.

Thank you for the info and the pics, very helpful!

boobie33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for this info. On my 04, when I open the driver door, the interior lights come on for a quick second then go off, and my door is still wide open. Also my radio sometimes stays on when I open the driver door, but if I close it and open again, radio will turn off like it should. I've ordered this part thanks to OP, from ebay.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hamfisted

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for this info. On my 04, when I open the driver door, the interior lights come on for a quick second then go off, and my door is still wide open. Also my radio sometimes stays on when I open the driver door, but if I close it and open again, radio will turn off like it should. I've ordered this part thanks to OP, from ebay.

Just check it by opening the passenger side door with all other doors closed. Does it behave like it's suppose to ? If it does, then yes, the driver's door switch is probably going bad.

-Mike

boobie33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just check it by opening the passenger side door with all other doors closed. Does it behave like it's suppose to ? If it does, then yes, the driver's door switch is probably going bad.

-Mike

Forgot to mention it..but yes..all other doors behave and work like they should.. only the driver door acts up

boobie33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, my headlights don't turn off when switched on in auto mode. Could this be related to door jamb switch too?

boobie33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actuallu got around to doing this today, but the switch I ordered is the wrong one! I order this same exact part number off of eBay, but the electrical socket connector is different. Does anyone know the oem part number for this?