HID high and low beam question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Restarting an old thread.

I am interested in doing this to my 05 Eddie Bauer Expedition. I'm a little confused about the wattage vs the color discussion. I'm looking for a good bright white light for mine.

Thanks!

bubbadabulldawg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's my dilemma; I ordered 35 watt kits for my high, low & driving lights with 5k bulbs.
I installed them and these are the issues I am having;

The low beams are reversed polarity than the high beams.

When I turn on the headlights, the lights power up fine BUT my dash board power resets the gauges and all the lights on the instrument cluster light up (like what happens if the battery gets disconnected) and the radio power resets like I just started the truck and it does the same thing when I turn on the high beams either to flash to pass or just to have the high beams on.

When I turn on the driving lights there is a faint glow of the high beam indicator notification on the cluster.

Once the instrument cluster resets everything functions normally unless like I said I flash the high beams.

The kits had came with 10000uF 25v capacitors but they do nothing for the problems I'm experiencing.

Has anybody else had these issues with installing HID's on our trucks? I am going to try powering the ballasts thru relay harnesses hoping that resolves the issues. Just looking for answers to this weird actions.

bubbadabulldawg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I resolved my problem with the radio restarting when I turn on the headlights and high beams by building a relay harness to power the low beams and running power directly from the battery. I also looked through my factory Ford wiring diagram book snd the low beam plugs are reversed from the high beam plugs. I have to put in another relay harness to power the driving lights because it is still causing the high beam indicator to faintly glow.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I resolved my problem with the radio restarting when I turn on the headlights and high beams by building a relay harness to power the low beams and running power directly from the battery. I also looked through my factory Ford wiring diagram book snd the low beam plugs are reversed from the high beam plugs. I have to put in another relay harness to power the driving lights because it is still causing the high beam indicator to faintly glow.

Sounds like a lot of work!

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been looking HID kits for a while now but there's so many of them I'm not sure what brands are better than another.

What brands are you guys running?

Sent from my $amsung $III using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine from ZombieSoldier yesterday - 35-watts, 5K bulbs. PM him for price and options. I went with HID on low beams only.

billycuth

Reaction score
This is something I want to do, but I don't want to be buying new housings with projectors... I want something that works with the original housings.