Jumping at low RPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DKH2Hrnt

Reaction score
Seeing if I could get some help narrowing down the issue I am having with my truck. It is a 2003, 5.4l, just over 100K miles. For a while now the truck has been missing at low rpms, around 1100, but it started to get worse and I can now feel it all the way up to about 2,000 rpm. In the past few days I have been feeling it jump as I pull off from a stop. Now, this morning I felt it start to hiccup as I was sitting at a stop light. The truck doesn't jump at all when in park, but It starts jumping again as soon as I put it in drive. Spark plugs? Coils? Fuel Injectors?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check for vacuum leaks use a can of spray carb cleaner and spray around the vacuum hose, intake and throttle body if you have a leak you will notice a rise in RPM's

could be plugs. When were they last changed

Last edited:
OP
OP
DKH2Hrnt

DKH2Hrnt

Reaction score
No check engine light. I've had the truck for over a year and a half, and haven't changed the plugs.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check for vacuum leaks first.
then change plugs and if you don't install new coils at least replace the boots and use dialectic grease on the wires inside of the boots

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
pay attention to the pcv hose that connects to the back of the throttle body when checking for vacuum leaks

OP
OP
DKH2Hrnt

DKH2Hrnt

Reaction score
Used an entire can of carb cleaner trying to see if I could find a leak, but nothing. I guess the next step is the spark plugs.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it is possible to see a code even if the CEL isn't on

when you first put your key in and turn to run without starting does the CEL come on??