Mic placement for a hands free

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mariusz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first post, so please bare with me.
Most likely this is a very basic and stupid question, but I will ask anyway. I'm trying to install a microphone for the Parrot MKi9000 hands free kit right underneath the rear view mirror. I know how to do the electrical part of it and how to remove the bezel to get to the radio, but I have no idea how to deal with the rest.
I would like utilize the existing tubing on the windshield that hides the wire going to the sensor behind the mirror, than go underneath the roof covering along the top of the windshield, than go down underneath the handlebar trim to get under the dash. Do I need to loosen the roof covering to do this and if so how? Do I need a special tool for this? Also, how do I remove the handlebar trim - does it come of by unscrewing the handle?
I have a 2006 Expedition XLT

Thanks a million!
Mariusz

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer bluetooth mic and power supply for my radar dector I ran behind the dash and up the handlebar trim, just pull out the weather strippping from the door and you'll see, when you get to the top tuck the wire in from the top then go to the headliner and continue your tuck till you get under the rear view.
heres an old post with hella pictures and if you need more just give me a holler

http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=8397&highlight=bluetooth+mic

OP
OP
M

Mariusz

Reaction score
Thaks a lot Whoismootoo!

I'm glad, I do not have to remove the headliner or the handlebar trim. I understand that the weather stripping is not glued, right?

Now, is there an easy way to get inside the tubing in the middle of the windshield that hides the wire leading to the sensor behind the rear view, or do I just try to thread the mic wire through it?

Thanks again!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^+1 on how he did it...thats how mine is...im trying to put it in the dash mounted flush...i dont know if you can get inside the tubing...might have to cut a slit and feed it...

Last edited:

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put mine right below the stereo at the edge of the center console. Hell of alot easier and its out of the way.

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have Bluetooth for my Kenwood KDCX995 and the mic is on the gauge bezel, just to the right of the steering column. It's out if the way, but in a great spot for sound pickup

OP
OP
M

Mariusz

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I still would like to place it under the rear view, in fact, I think I will attach it to the sensor behind the mirror, unless you guys think there might be some sort of interference. By the way what does this sensor do?

Unfortunately, the mic for the Parrot comes with a mini RCA plug at the end and it looks like the gap between the windshield and the handlebar trim is too small to allow the plug to go through it, so I may have to loosen the trim a bit to do it. Can anyone tell me how to do it? Does it loosen by unscrewing the handlebar or is is more involved?

Thanks again!

GEORGETOWN

Reaction score
I got mine right behind the rear view
Makes it easier when someone is in the passengers seat trying to talk because they tend to lean your way when they are talking! lol

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put mine right below the stereo at the edge of the center console. Hell of alot easier and its out of the way.

I have Bluetooth for my Kenwood KDCX995 and the mic is on the gauge bezel, just to the right of the steering column. It's out if the way, but in a great spot for sound pickup

Any chance you guys could snap a quick pic of your mic location and if possible show the general routing of the wire from the head unit to that location?

I attached a pic of the 07 Expy dash. This is not a pic of my specific interior, but I'd love to somehow install the mic in this little coin holder. Anyone know how to remove it so I can modify it? Is there an empty space behind it to run the wire if I drill a hole?

Attachments

• 2007_ford_expedition_limited-pic-38623.jpg
    2007_ford_expedition_limited-pic-38623.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 2,583