Radio static when rear defrost is on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Has anyone ever experienced radio static when the rear defrost is turned on? REAL annoying, My rear defrost elements are all fine, no scratches. When the defrost is off, no static... There is supposedly some antenna amplifier up in the headliner...? Has anyone ever had this problem?

0627Devildog

Reaction score
Has anyone ever experienced radio static when the rear defrost is turned on? REAL annoying, My rear defrost elements are all fine, no scratches. When the defrost is off, no static... There is supposedly some antenna amplifier up in the headliner...? Has anyone ever had this problem?

I have not had any problems with the rear defroster causing issues, but I DEFINITELY had a bad/loose connection somewhere that drops in and out when I hit bumps in the road.

The rear passenger side window holds the antenna and the connection to the ant is above the headliner right at the window. There has been a loose connection that drops the am/fm stations for the last 25K miles or so. I believe that the connection is bad where the wired connections makes the transition to the window connection.

It is in such a funky place I am not sure how to address. Can this be repaired without replacing the whole rear window? Is the headliner removed easily?

OP
OP
Boose

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
The antenna lead definitely goes to the unit I'm speaking to which is supposedly tucked up above the headliner... I haven't attempted to try to pull it down yet. Is you connection at the window good as far as you can tell?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may be experiencing noise on the power line to the radio. Search online for car audio noise filters. Or you have a bad connection somewhere that is arching and the radio antenna is picking it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boose

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
my problem is directly related to the rear defrost circuit as the sound is crystal clear as long as the defrost is off. I don't see how the 2 could be connected.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Think about it, what do radios do? Receive signals. Only two ways for that to happen, interference through the power leads (they also act as antennas) or through the antenna itself. There is something on that circuit that is giving a signal that the radio is picking up.

0627Devildog

Reaction score
Think about it, what do radios do? Receive signals. Only two ways for that to happen, interference through the power leads (they also act as antennas) or through the antenna itself. There is something on that circuit that is giving a signal that the radio is picking up.

Bad ground on either the radio, or rear defroster maybe?

0627Devildog

Reaction score
The antenna lead definitely goes to the unit I'm speaking to which is supposedly tucked up above the headliner... I haven't attempted to try to pull it down yet. Is you connection at the window good as far as you can tell?

My connection to the actual window itself is definitely what the cause of MY issue is. . . . The connection from the ant. cable to the connector that leads to the window is solid. But where that connector transitions from cable to the connection inside the window is weak.

I just have no idea how to fix it because of the ****** spot it's in.

0627Devildog

Reaction score
Ford Dealer?

I brought it there 3 times for the same issue when it was under warranty. Mysteriously, while it was under warranty. . . . they could NEVER seem to replicate the issue, even though it did it on the way there AND on the way home.