Reverse light bulb info for 08+ tails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow96z

Reaction score
I installed a set of 08+ tail lights on my 04 and I love the smooth look of the lights, but just like when I did the same on my 99 F250 the reverse light left a lot to be desired. The socket that you have to use to swap these tail lights holds a 194 wedge base bulb, which is not very bright at all so I went online looking for options and here is what I came up with.

I initially tried the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs, which cost $10 a pair. They were less than stellar and did not produce enough light to be servicable.

I then found a post online that discussed 12 volt landscaping lights available at Home Depot in the garden lights section. These lights are 18 watt bulbs and produce 150 lumens of light. The base is the same wedge style so they are a direct replacement for the 194 bulbs and were $6 for a pack of 4. Much more light and much cheaper.

In the above picture I have replaced the driver side with a landscaping bulb and the passenger side still have the silver star bulb.

I hope this helps anybody that has done the swap and is not happy with the light output of the 194 bulbs as reverse lights.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oracle cree bulbs are bright...Mohawk seen mine and said they're BRIGHT

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

OP
OP
S

slow96z

Reaction score
LED's would probably be better, and those Oracle Cree lights look really nice, but for a price point of $6 for a 4 pack of these I like them.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His or oracle crees?

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes...not sure if oracle did anything special to theres or not...but mine are bright...