Spark plug change time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm debating changing the plugs in my 06 expy with the 5.4, its just about to roll over 100k and is starting to run a little rough. No codes yet, but im trying to be proactive here and while the weather is nice i want to get some things out of the way.

Question is, should i worry about changing them now? And if I do, what should i expect and or do to reduce any problems? I have read the TSB and all the horror stories about breaking plugs and such. Im also debating on buying the lisle tool to extract the broken ones if and when i break one. Anyone had any success?

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought myself the motorcraft plugs and had the dealer do mine $300 plus the $80 or so for the plugs... My opinion so much easier than removing the broken ones and pulling things apart just to get to the plugs on the passanger side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100K maintenance is due and plugs need to be changed...I wouldn't wait until a code comes due to the fact that by the time u do get a code...more than one thing can/may be wrong by that time...a good vehicle will have PREVENTIVE maintenance done...that's how u keep and extend the life of any vehicle and that's how u know that ur vehicle will be good to u...by being good to it...

as stated above...once they get stuck...it may take u a day or 2 or more to get them out and that's due to a couple of reasons and one of them is not changing them...I got mine changed at 97K and it took the dealership 1.5 days cuz 1 broke off in the engine...u have an 06 3V so they should be easier to take out...still a chance...depends on ur ability under the hood

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Well mine came out without a hitch (05 3V) they had 120k on them but non broke during removal so chances are 50/50 you'll just end up having an hour of work instead of a week. I didn't use any lubricants just a ratchet, an extension and a socket.

Best of luck

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did mine at 150K miles. None broke amazingly but I had problems with carbon deposits and buildup post swap. After proper cleaning of the threads in the heads with a wire brush, and a tank of seafoam and a tank of fuel injector treatment (with regaine esters) she was good. If I had my time back I would have run the seafoam through the tank BEFORE I did the swap. Good luck!

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are planning on doing this yourself I would plan on buying the plug removal tool or at least have a way to get one/plan for the downtime.

I would replace the COP boots/connectors when you do the plugs as well.

snellemin

Reaction score
I just changed mine at 146K. None broke. Used carb cleaner, seafoam and about 5 hours to do it myself. Used E3 plugs that I bought 3 years ago. I have no clue how long these will last, based on what I've read on the net. Also swapped out the old COP's with MSD COP's, just because Autozone brand would be way more expensive.
Best MPG that I get is around 23 on the highway. Wife still manages 10.8MPG average per gas tank.

WP_20160429_23_47_52_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160427_16_36_47_Pro_LI.jpg

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No real advantage is changing COPs that are working fine. A set of boots and connectors is $30-35 for 8.