Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisJ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmmm interesting.. So 2005 was the first year for my style plug according to that site.. Must be because of the 3valve heads

Yes 3V's take the long plug...The 2v uses the typical NGK copper style plugs...Same thing for the mustangs...The 2V's are notorious for pulling the threads out with them...Thats why some people do a plug change with the engine warm in the 2V's...Anti-seeze is your friend with these modulars...

OP
OP
GEORGETOWN

GEORGETOWN

Reaction score
Yes 3V's take the long plug...The 2v uses the typical NGK copper style plugs...Same thing for the mustangs...The 2V's are notorious for pulling the threads out with them...Thats why some people do a plug change with the engine warm in the 2V's...Anti-seeze is your friend with these modulars...

This is good to know but now that explains why it felt like sand was on the threads as I was unscrewing them from the head and you can see stuff on the threads of the spark plugs in the pic also

ChrisJ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You put anti-seeze on the plug threads right?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do NOT use anti seize use motorcraft plugs and tq to spec. anti seize gives you an innacurate tq. plus these plugs have a way of working themselves out. use the motorcraft plugs they have aluminum threads for your aluminum head. if not tourqed properly you will have problems, too tight you break threads too loose and spark plug comes loose and combustion causes it to rip out threads on the 2v motor go by the book. its amazing everyone goin by "the book" and not "their" own personal preference is having no problems

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh, just changed mine out this past Friday. Replaced them with Motorcrafts, against my friend's recommendation of getting NGKs. The passenger side was more of a pain than the driver's side. All those coolant and AC hoses get in the way, though removing the PCM really makes getting the last one rather easy. :)

The ones that came out didn't seem that bad off. I don't think any of them had a gap greater than 0.60.

ChrisJ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do NOT use anti seize use motorcraft plugs and tq to spec. anti seize gives you an innacurate tq. plus these plugs have a way of working themselves out. use the motorcraft plugs they have aluminum threads for your aluminum head. if not tourqed properly you will have problems, too tight you break threads too loose and spark plug comes loose and combustion causes it to rip out threads on the 2v motor go by the book. its amazing everyone goin by "the book" and not "their" own personal preference is having no problems

I ran ngk tr6's in my mustang and many other vehicles for well over 8 years making 200rwhp to 700rwhp and used anti-sieze on every single plug with 0 issues...never had threads come out or a plug blow out...now those that used motocraft plugs with no antisieze is a different story as I made money heli-ing the threads and removing stuck plugs...

The reason you use anti-sieze on a non aluminum coated plug is due to difference in the metals heating a cooling cycles...with the motorcrafts no anti-sieze is needed as the metals are like and will expand and contract the same...with unlike metals you need the anti-sieze because the heating and cooling of 2 different metals can cause the threads to bind and then cause you to pull threads out with the plugs...

The book also says to only run BP gas..."the book" isn't always right...also a plug should never be torqued period that's what causes plugs to bind and porcelains to break...should be snug and no tighter...

Posted From A Cave In MD...

Last edited:
OP
OP
GEORGETOWN

GEORGETOWN

Reaction score
Oh well changed the plugs and fuel filter and coils. Then Expy started running funny. Put computer on it and it said it was running lean. After some checking around I just decided to remove the new coils and put the old coils back on (Thank go I didnt throw them away!) . . . and its running fine now! Damn coil pack from Ebay!! Now I have to try to get my money back from these people but at least I made sure I got it from someone local that was selling on ebay!

OP
OP
GEORGETOWN

GEORGETOWN

Reaction score
Oh and by the way . . . . After got the expy running good again I noticed there was a coolant leak under the intake manifold!!!!
Looks like I got another project on my hands!

I am still trying to find time to build my own stealth sub woofer in the rear drivers side cargo area! One day . . . One day I will have the time for that one!