Time to refresh my suspension... Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prez1967

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the main goal here is to tighten everything up after ~125k miles.

Theres some front end clunking noises popping up from time to time.

Do i replace entire control arms? Or just bushings and ball joints?

What about rear?

Any part numbers/sources would be helpful!

I'll be tossing on some Bilstein shocks and Helwig Sways while Im in there :)

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're doing it you might as well do it right. Pittman arm, control arm (upper and lower), tie rod ends upper and lower, ball joint, wheel bearings, sway bars, pretty much all suspension items can all be found at a really good price on parts geek with free shipping on orders over $100.

Often times it's easier to replace the whole control arm rather than just the ball joint.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To replace the upper arm ball joints, the entire upper arm needs to be replaced. The lower arm bj can be pressed out and replaced, but to replace the bushings, the whole lower arm has to be replaced. If you want to tighten it up, replace both upper and lower arms, along with the end links and it will improve it quite a bit. I just did this this past spring and it made a world of difference.

ExpeditionUser

Reaction score
You can salvage the lower arm and just press out/in the old/new bushings, and ball joint. This is the path that I will be taking shortly. Pressing replacement bushings is not the easiest/fastest way to get things done, but it's cheaper overall.

And just an FYI, the second gens do not have a pitman arm.

If you want to do everything, I would suggest:

FRONT SUSPENSION

Upper control arms

Lower control arms
-As an assembly ideally(if your budget allows)
-Or salvage old arm, replace ball joint and have new bushings pressed in. (most shops like it when you remove the old bushing for them, wink wink.)

Sway bar end links
-Check the sway bar bushings too!!

Struts
-Ideally as strut assemblies
-Alternatively, and of course, more time consuming just replace the strut cartridge.

Inner tie rods
-If needed, check for play

Outer tie rods
-I would just do them while I'm in there.

Inspect rack and pinion bushings
-replace if needed.

REAR SUSPENSION

Bushing/Ball joint
P/N 5791016 on Rockauto

Inner tie rod

Outer tie rod

Struts
-Same philosophy as the front on how/what to replace.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't see rack and pinion bushings on Rockauto BTW, but all of these other parts that I reference can be found there.

Good Luck, I'll be doing exactly the things I just laid out here in the next couple months.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure you will find bushings for the lower control arm. I searched, and came up empty. It is my understanding the bushings aren't replaceable on the second gens. Can they be removed with some work, probably, but not having any aftermarket parts to put in there is the issue.