#@$%#@$#@$#@$#@$#@$ Front Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I took advantage of a nice warm sunny day this evening to go out and finish putting my truck back together. Everything coming together nicely.. SNAP.

The guide wheel on the front cover, was tightening it down not even to the tightness to torque yet and it snapped off the aluminum offshoot it was connected to......

1604801_10203462027331872_2613809179387427490_n.jpg

Now it looks like I get to buy a new front cover and take everything BACK off.

B

bedrck46

Are you sure it was a Sunny day or do you have a dark cloud over your head I bet you just love doing things twice

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well i'm glad it broke now vs later when I was driving and had even more stuff put back on.. ..

Now I get to find a timing cover somewhere.. Checking dealer and junk yard tomorrow I guess.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Maybe you are much stronger than you think !?

:worthy:

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Entirelly possible, but it wasn't even to the point of feeling tight. :/ I saw someone on the mustang forum had the same problem under almost the same circumstances and was able to "fix" it by just getting a longer bolt and making use of extra threads. I suppose I could do that - there is still about a 1/4" of threads in the front cover. I could get a slightly longer bolt and some jb weld and "fix" it if I have to. But at this point I just have to take the valve covers, ps pump and crank pulley back off to get the cover off so I might as well replace it - if I can find one.. Alternatively I could have my dad weld it but I don't know how well that would hold either.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Entirelly possible, but it wasn't even to the point of feeling tight. :/ I saw someone on the mustang forum had the same problem under almost the same circumstances and was able to "fix" it by just getting a longer bolt and making use of extra threads. I suppose I could do that - there is still about a 1/4" of threads in the front cover. I could get a slightly longer bolt and some jb weld and "fix" it if I have to. But at this point I just have to take the valve covers, ps pump and crank pulley back off to get the cover off so I might as well replace it - if I can find one.. Alternatively I could have my dad weld it but I don't know how well that would hold either.

Agreed.

Sorry about your misfortune! Really sucks when things like that happens. Kind of screws your day.

Last edited:

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could've been worse.. I broke a bolt off in a water pump gasket fix on my buick lesabre. the engine was to be removed to get proper access to drill the bolt out. I just bodged it together as it was probably the 50,00th thing coolant related to break with that car. tragedy though

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm really just tired of spending money on the thing to be honest. I knew it was a gamble when I bought it. It just sucks when your almost done and have to take so many steps back. It doesn't sound like i'm alone either - looking around at other forums it seems like that is a commonly broken part. Wish someone would make some sort of aftermarket idler that shares the same 3 bolts as the tensioner or something.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I'm really just tired of spending money on the thing to be honest. I knew it was a gamble when I bought it. It just sucks when your almost done and have to take so many steps back. It doesn't sound like i'm alone either - looking around at other forums it seems like that is a commonly broken part. Wish someone would make some sort of aftermarket idler that shares the same 3 bolts as the tensioner or something.

Metal fatigue or bad castings ??

Might be worth tapping it out the rest of the way and using longer bolt if they are not broken?? But then that might break it if its ready to go. Catch 22...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01