2001 Expedition spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bar422

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted to check with everyone and see which spark plugs are the best ones to use in my 01 XLT 5.4? I figured sticking with Motorcraft would be best but what experience has everyone had with the different brands. Any input would be great! Thanks!

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Motorcraft is the general consensus yea. They have aluminum threads and work best with our aluminum heads. Spark plugs are a hot topic and cause a lot of issues. Do a search here and read about blow outs, and stripping of threads.

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i don't use motor craft in anything if I can avoid it, The way i see it their stuff is inferior 90% of the time (that's my personal opinion). best way to avoid any issues with spark plugs is to torque them to fords specs, and change them very frequently, im thinking of doing mine every 30,000 or so, that way there wont be much of a chance for carbon to build up on them.

also when i changed mine i cracked them like 1/8-1-4 of a turn and soaked them in pb blaster, and mine came out with no issues im pretty sure they were original with 122,000 on them, it probably wouldn't be stupid to very carefully run a tap down there, like I said VERY CAREFULY!

Last edited:

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and change them very frequently, im thinking of doing mine every 30,000 or so, that way there wont be much of a chance for carbon to build up on them.

it probably wouldn't be stupid to very carefully run a tap down there, like I said VERY CAREFULY!

This is not wise info to give to others as it is unnecessary to change out plugs that rapidly. Changing out plugs that rapid will increase the risk of a possible plug stripping or something else going wrong. Not to mention that it can be costly constantly changing out plugs like that. Anytime you do something repeatedly does nothing but increase the risk of malfunction.

Secondly, I would not advise someone or others to go in and tap threads on the head as that too creates a greater chance of something going wrong. Most people do not have the ability to do tapping of threads.

Next thing we know we have a thread started asking for help as something went wrong based on info someone told them to do.

Preventative maintenance is wise and expectant. But in reason, and with knowledge and intelligence.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have autolite double plats in mine... going on year 2 with no problems...

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use nothing but Motorcraft plugs. Best plug for our application, I have wanted to try out the E3 plugs, but I can not see paying that kind of money for a experimental plug.

nsperf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The motorcraft plugs are hard to beat.

I have used them in both the expy and mustang and they have served me well.