97 5.4 died on me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebmonster

Reaction score
97 Expedition shut off on me in traffic. Can not hear the fuel pump sprayed some starter fluid in throttle body truck still did not start it crank over, but will not start.....no fuel coming out of the fuel pressure relief valve....could it be a fuel pump fuse???? there's about 50 miles on the trip computer, so it cant be out of gas unless its misleading......

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't trust the counter in mine. We had our F350 at work do this, granted its a power stroke but it was the fuse to the pump.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would add 2-3 gallons of gas to be sure then reset the inertia switch if it tripped. Check the fuel pumps fuse also. If necessay jump the fuel pump relay and check for pressure on the fuel rail after 20 seconds.

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can usually hear the fuel pump before you try and turn it over also. At least I could on all the Fords I have owned or driven.

OP
OP
ebmonster

ebmonster

Reaction score
so im out there working on it and this older lady close to maybe 60s i wanna say, asked me what its doing and i told her, she said its the brain box.......she told me her and her brother owned ford f150s, and said that their truck did the same thing.........any one ever heard of this brain box?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel Pump fuse is #19 located in the "Power Distribution Box". I would say it is in the engine compartment.

Brain box is the pcm and does control the fuel pump. Check the basics first.

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

if fuse 19 is good try swapping the fuel pump relay with another relay also check for voltage at the inertia switch