97 Expedition stalling, then theft light blinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
Err, hows your sex life?

I'm married so you know it's not good

Seriously, I thought you would be posting pics of the big bonfire by now.
It has been awfully tempting for sure although I really haven't done anything else to it.

If this guy has real old timer mechanic experience, give him a shot at it, or just GIVE IT to him.

You could print out all the stuff we've covered in this thread and all the stuff you've tried, but why ruin his day like that?

Well I just got home and thought I'd give it a shot. Turned key over, no theft light. Looked down and saw that thing that I pulled out of the ignition column still hanging. Although I did notice he had tied a resistor into it so it seems like he knows a bit about electrical stuff. He said he bypasses theft stuff all the time so I have to take his word for it. However battery was only showing 50% again so I'm charging it up again. Seems like I've read this before about the battery draining and anti-theft light blinking. May read up again....got tired of reading about it for a while.

And this is a "real old timer mechanic" type of guy. Country boy/redneck whatever you wanna call him. Little bit of a mullet, long goatee, the type you see with the chain attached to his wallet in the back. In short, the type I grew up with. But when put to the question: "Can you fix it?" I got "I don't know". Not real confident inspiring but at least he's honest about it b/c this issue has stumped many people locally as well as everything I've read on the web.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldnt hold out for confidence inspiring in your case, rather a "shoot straight no B#@!t" answer.

If he can solve your problem with a resistor, a gum wrapper and a little duct tape, thank your lucky stars! Even MacGyver had a bit of a mullet.

Notmyidi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure it was a resistor and not a diode? Just for curiousity

sent from my mind via telepathy

OP
OP
P

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
Sure it was a resistor and not a diode? Just for curiousity

not really but I think it's a resistor. I'll go take a pic when I go back out this evening after battery is charged. I gotta form up a 25x25 basketball court concrete pad right now.

Notmyidi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the color band 3700 ohms to

Which would mean 12.6 would drop to 6.3

Last edited:

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably means that the guy knows a trick because he's done it successfully before, and he wants to see if it's the solution to your problem.

Ever see Circle of Iron? The protege named Cord thought David Carradine
"The Blind Man" was a real dick, until he learned why he sank the boat, fixed a wall, and ***** slapped a tyrannical boy.

He had been through there before and already knew what was going on, as your mechanic likely does.

Keep the battery 100% charged, let the mechanic test his theories, stay out of the heat, carry on grasshopper.

Notmyidi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That module probably needed to see a certain voltage, internally it probably has a similar resistor, so adding it insures it will see it, or rather a voltage range
And 12.6 is a fully charged battery or max output of your battery

I could theorize for days but I've never dealt with Ford's theft interlock