97 Expedition stalling, then theft light blinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
Well, I noticed something different today. As I was moving the charger around I accidentally hit a button onit and it showed "ZERO" under the alternator light. that would explain the battery draining but what about the stalling/theft light issue? Bad alternator cause that? IIRC, it was replaced last year but it may have been my other truck.

How to test alternator while truck not running?

Notmyidi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There isn't unless you remove it and take it to be tested

sent from my mind via telepathy

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We spoke about the possibility of a short in a diode on the alternator and ensuring that every electrical connection was perfectly clean.

OP
OP
P

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
the thing is I don't know what a diode is......at all.

Connections were clean and tight....made sure of that and doublechecked again today while looking for something, anything loose. The mechanic who made the house call is getting it Friday.

Notmyidi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a one way check valve for electricity your alt has several,

Notmyidi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should have around 12.6 before start up drops during cranking and 14vs at idle
I believe 30% of max output of amps from the alt at idle and 90% at full load

OP
OP
P

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
Well, the mechanic has had it for 2 months and said there is nothing left for him to check. The local junkyard will give me $500 for it but scrap value is around $650-$700. But dang....it's hard to take a decent looking vehicke like that to be crushed...piant and body are great. The motor and trans run great...just can't get the computer code fixed. I can't spend anymore on fixing it now...not taking it to the dealership 30 miles away to get *****. Right now, the plan is to yank the wheels and tires off as well as the catalytic converter and sell them separately....may get $800-$850 out of it

Would I have any luck parting it out and making more in....say a 3-4 month period? Don't want to have it just sitting around here

OP
OP
P

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
Update: sold it last month for $1025 to a local guy who was going to try to fix it. Got a text from him today stating the local stealership fixed it. had 2 shorts in wires behind the intake. The same stealership that would do nothing but scan for codes for me. His friend works there so I'm sure he tried a bit harder than they did for me.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, im happy and sad for you.

Happy you got money for it, sad you couldn't get to the bottom of it.

Yeah, a lot of time in life it's "who ya know".

Thx for the update, I figured with the cold setting in you would just set it on fire and warm your hand.

OP
OP
P

PO'dexpd'nowner

Reaction score
Wow, im happy and sad for you.

Happy you got money for it, sad you couldn't get to the bottom of it.

Yeah, a lot of time in life it's "who ya know".

Thx for the update, I figured with the cold setting in you would just set it on fire and warm your hand.

Well I remembered why I get aggravated so many times on forums. People have problems, fix them and never update on what the fix was so I felt obligated to post back.

As for cold comment...I love the cold. I'm out there every morning at 6:15 in the dark deer hunting and now rabbit season is starting. Bought me a 2001 Z71 for new work truck. If I hadn't bought it I'd offer to buy back the Exp'y

And I correct myself: I checked his text....his friend who works at the dealership fixed it....dunno if it was at the dealership itself.