98-02 Expedition and Navigator check suspension light diy solve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Done! Light's out....

I did as Givenator described above.

The hardest part was getting the plug out. After I found it in the first place. It was easiest to see laying on the hood, pointing a flashlight. I googled around to see exactly what the plug release looked like. Once I realized I needed to push the release down on the top of the plug it was no problem to disconnect. Would have been easier to cut, maybe....

Why isn't this thread sticky?

kernhills

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Navigator. Does anyone know if the instructions and wire colors are the same? Strutmasters gave me instructions on resetting the ride height with a ford computer but the dealer wants $180 to do it... Theres got to be a better option. Any pointers are appreciated!! Thanks!!

mhowington

Reaction score
Is this connector flat between the radio and cluster? I have an "extra" connector that I have no idea where it goes. When you pull the radio bezel off, there is a space between the instrument and radio areas. My Check suspension light is also on... now that I replaced the bulb- searching for what it means brought me to this thread so perhaps this just needs to be plugged in? I just dont know where!

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This connector is horizontal ABOVE and near the back of the radio.

Do you have an extra connector because of some work you did, or just an extra in there? The connector here is usually plugged in. Did you convert from air suspension to springs?

Last edited:

mhowington

Reaction score
No not at all. I just noticed this connector when I pulled the dash to repalce the bulbs. It is a small flat connector (gray but has a black piece around it) with 4 wires. Going by memory the colors are bluish (two in centre) gray and black on the outside. It doesnt seem to be able to reach above/behind the radio. the check suspension spot was taped over so being the idiot I am... I replaced the bulb and now the check suspension light is on (this truck hasnt had the best history....). I just came across this post and thought perhaps the two were related. If not- Ive no idea where this connector goes. I would assume it needs to be plugged in.. somewhere.

hjackson05

Reaction score
Sorry about dredging up this old thread. I purchased this 2001 Nav that has the coil springs and the chk suspension light on. I believe I see the connector under the dash access panel, however , there is a white plug and a black plug, both of which plug into the same white socket side by side. I cannot get to the plug to pull it out, if there is a green wire it is on the under side of the connector and there isn’t enough slack to see it let alone cut it. I can just barely touch the white plug with a finger tip, I can’t even touch the black plug. Are there any other ways to get rid of the light?

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I guess pulling the lightbulb wasn't the correct fix?
Oh well, no lightbulb = no check susp light!
Still better than a piece of black electrical tape on the dash... LOL

hjackson05

Reaction score
Still working this.

Why isn't this thread sticky?

I've literally searched a thousand sites and thius is the only result I have found.

Still working on this. The Suncore instructions show that you can cut the wire or leave the solenoid connected. Does anyone know which solenoid and where it's located?

The only other option is to remove the dash. If I remove the lower dash panel and steering column only (the panel with the storage slot in it, below instrument cluster) would I be able to get to the wire to cut it?

navair

Reaction score
You have to remove center Dash panel 01 Navigator

anyone doing this .........remove all shrouds....carefull clock removal or break bezel.....remove right side first.....then 7mm remove everything...screwdriver firston on light controls on left gently remove take off connectors ...work your way from left to right when you get center dash panel.....stainless supports above radio.....with phillip heads....remove that to obtain access to plug mentioned......you cannot get at it by just removing radio......once you have a thousand 7mm off you will get it two sets of plugs on module......it is not the modules u see when looking in clock hole.....this unit(module is physically 4x6 inches an sits reside under dash hidden above radio and the plugs come into the unit from the engine side.....remove...around steering wheel gentle pull
remove shround below steering wheel with 7 mm and two 8mm steel plate lower left...then upper plastic around cluster........7mm around ....then genly pull air around radio...to get that off.....also two plastic sloping ashtray retainers will need light and push down 6 inch apart one on left and one right ...get ash tray out of the way........green and light green