'98 4x4 curiosity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just noticed the strangest thing about the 4 wheel drive in my '98 EB Expy.
I have A4WD but I do not have 4H or 4L. No dash light indicators, and no shifting into low range.
The A4WD works just fine, did plenty of testing in a little snowstorm we had this weekend. :gr_grin:

I checked the 30a fuse under the hood, it was fine. Any other ideas?

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a common issue. The auto 4wd works off electro magnets and 4wh/4wl work by the motor. Your motor maybe frozen. My 97 was doing the same thing, I pulled the motor cleaned it and re greased it. Disconnected the battery for a few and when I hooked the battery back up and tried the switch 8t worked just fine. It's been a few months and no problem since.

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Copper!
I will check it out when the temperature gets above ********** COLD.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine turned out to be fuses under the hood. Removed every one and ran the fine-toothed file over a few that had white cake on them. Never had a reason to remove for anything before, but apparently that did the trick.

PanHandler.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine is opposite, i have 4 high and 4 low but no A4wd i have a new HALL sensor for the T-case but idk if thats going to fix it.

B

bedrck46

check this recent post "In a bind, no AWD/4HI/4LO" there are electrical prints attached that may be helpful to you. There are also other fuses that you should check they are in fuse panel under the dash. the prints are for a 97 but the 98 is the same

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check this recent post "In a bind, no AWD/4HI/4LO" there are electrical prints attached that may be helpful to you. There are also other fuses that you should check they are in fuse panel under the dash. the prints are for a 97 but the 98 is the same

I checked out the thread and did some playing around.
Checked cabin fuse #'s 13,15, and 23. All were good. Then I rechecked the 4x4 selector and VOILA it worked again!
Dunno if I had a bad connection, or if the GEM reset after the power loss. Either way, it works and I am happy. :D

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been pretty heavy into electrical and computer work for awhile now. the first thing I recommend when diagnosing an electrical problem is to locate all of the fuses for that part and re-seat/clean/inspect them. usually re seating fixes the problem but sometimes, as mentioned above, they can be corroded and need cleaning. Good to see that you fixed the problem.