99 expedition overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I finally started to make some good money and I decided to put it into my expo. New tires, tt, coil spacers, programer and eventually a pa body lift so I decided to do my routine check of everything.

I crawled under it yesterday to check the fluids and I think I have the dreaded head gasket leak. It has always leaked a little oil ever sense I had the lifter springs and valves replaced but it was never enough to see it leaking on to my pass side exhaust like I did yesterday.

I also noticed that my trans fluid is a little low but with all the oil that has splashed on the rest of my shit from driving 80mph on the highway for the last 2 months I couldn't tell if it is a leak or not. It shifts fine with no problems so I hope its just the input and output seals

The t case is also low tho I can not tell where its leaking because all of the oil and the last time I Put it in 4low or high it clunked hard and made a grinding noise going in and out.

My rear diff was also low but it wasn't wet anywhere so I think it is coming out of the seals. But the rims are never wet so I don't think its real bad.

So before I buy a body lift, coil spacers and a tuner i want to fix all the leaks because i use full synthetic fluids for everything so filling the oil is getting expensive and with all the rest leaking its going to compound.

So I have spent the last two days on the forum and searching Google for howto's videos and pictures on some of these things and cant come up with much except some people saying its not to hard or its more cost effective to do this or that. but no real info. I guess I am looking for some threads you guys have booked marked or first hand info, videos or just good websites to get info from.

I plan on doing most if not all the work my self but for t case, axles and engine I will get junk yard ones and rebuild those and just drop them in. I'm not a master tech or anything i haven't rebuilt any of these parts before but with the right info I feel real confident with everything except the engine rebuild.

I want to start with the t case leak and rebuild then move on to axles. I am not sure what t case i have yet I cant find my manual at the moment but like I said all info welcome. The axles are 9.75 with 3.73 and the rear is LS. I have to say I know the least about axles of all the work to be done. I will answer all questions to the best of my ability and take any pics needed in search of help. thanks for reading guys

OP
OP
L

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do have one i just have to find it. It usually is in my car but I must have taken it out and not put it back in for some reason. Don't remember why tho

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Give the underside one hell of a good cleaning and look for the leaks. May end up saving you some time.

OP
OP
L

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Washing the underside is the plan for tomorrow as well as front rotors and pads, air filter, oil change and a good bath and vacuuming. I will top everything off as well. Maybe it will help me find the leaks. I have heard of this UV stuff that you put in the suspected system run it for awhile and use a UV light to find the leak. Anyone ever used or know what it is called I might use it to confirm where the oil leak is?

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be against putting any water on the motor itself(under is probably fine) Those COP's are really sensitive to getting wet. I used carb cleaner or brake cleaner to check for leaks as it dries instantly.

OP
OP
L

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I forgot it is a holiday so the parts store is closed... But yes I wont be using a hose to clean anything. I did that to a jeep and it ran like crap for a month after. I will wash the underside with a bucket of soap/water and a brush to get most of it off but brake cleaner for the remaining and inside the engine bay.

I also put up a post about tires if any of you have advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: Well I got the front breaks done yesterday changed oil and topped off all fluids. The rear end and the tcase were not very low, must have just been low enough that my fat fingers couldn't find it... they both took maybe an 8th of a qt so not very low. Makes me happy. I am in the middle of changing the breaks on my fathers 2002 Chevy and I got to say that whoever decided to use torx bit bolts for the caliper slides is my mortal enemy. Striped one bit on my expy no big deal just trade for a new one but on my fathers I striped 2 broke a 1/2 reducer and a 3/8 ratchet. I got one side on the truck done and come to find out that who ever did the job previously used loctite on all bolts... wtf

I also ordered head lights/turns and bulbs, and a rear sway-bar rebuild kit. The kit made it to my house in less that 30 hrs sense I ordered it. The headlights and turns are lightening reproductions and the bulbs are Philips 9007 X-treme Power Headlight Bulbs

Attachments

• headlight.JPG
    headlight.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
L

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been looking for 3" coil spring spacers and cant find any anywhere that don't come with torsion keys. ebay, summit, amazon and even a few others. I have seen a few post here and on another forum talking about them. Can any one point me in the right direction? Or can i only get them with keys?

OP
OP
L

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well I found some 3" coil spacers. Ordered them and when they come in im going to take some measurements and fab up some then send them back because 140$ is way to much when I can make em.

I also installed the headlights and the bulbs. They are the brightest bulbs i have ever seen.

Attachments

• headlight1.jpg
    headlight1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 95
  • headlight2.jpg
    headlight2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 101